Pre-lab 7: Hitachi operation
1. What is the function of the load lock or sample exchange chamber?
The function of the load lock chamber is to evacuate the sample volume of air and to ensure that the
sample is not strongly magnetic or in any way wet determ
Scanning Electron Microscopy
High Resolution on the NovaNano
1. What two pieces of equipment will we be using this week? (2)
a. Nova Nano
b. Sputter Coater
2. List four differences between the Quanta and NovaNano. (4)
a. NovaNano displays beam c
PreLab 1: based on both the Lab_1 handout and Quanta lab lecture
Note: If you have read the assigned materials these questions should be very easy to
1. Where is the Quanta located?
The Quanta is located in the SMBB inside the
PHYS 5739 September 30, 2015
Ian Robinson, MSE U. Of U. SLC UT 84105
Qualitative EDS on the Quanta
1. What are the correct probe insertion depth and sample working distance for
performing EDS measurements on the Quanta?
Probe insertion depth: 46