CS 4480: Computer Networks
Administrative Details and Syllabus
December 31, 2015
Description. This course is a comprehensive introduction to the principles and practices of computer
communication networks including the desig
Note: With "reason about" I mean understand something well enough
that you can argue its pros and cons, not just give a definition.
Also, where applicable, "reason about" would include reproducing and using
the symbolic definitions (or equations) you have
- Be able to explain the concepts of forwarding and routing and
how they are related.
- Be able to list and explain the possible service models that a network
layers could provide.
- Be able to explain the service model provided by the In
- Be able to list and explain possible services that the link layer may provide.
- Be able to explain where/how in a computer system the link layer is
- Be able to explain the purpose of error-detection and error-correcti
- Be able to explain and compare the two predominant application architectures
in use in the Internet, including giving examples and discussing the pros and
cons of each approach.
- Be able to explain how networked applications are real
- Be able to explain the relationship between the transport and network
layer in computer networks.
- Be able to explain the terminology associated with the Internet
- Be able to explain the IP service model.
- Be able to
- Be able to list and describe the elements found in a wireless network.
- Be able to explain and give examples of wireless networks using
using the number of wireless hops and infrastructure/ad-hoc mode of operation
- Be able to lis
- Be able to list and explain four desirable properties of secure
- Be able to explain the characters and terminology used in cryptography.
- Be able to explain the basic functioning of symmetric key cryptography.
- Be able
CS 4480: Computer Networks - Spring 2016
Programming Assignment 1
HTTP Web Proxy Server
PA 1: A Due on Jan 30th 2016
PA 1: B Due on Feb 6th 2016
PA 1: Final Due on Feb 20th 2016
(Note that your programs will be tested on CADE Lab Linux machin