INC1 TASK 1
BY TANIKA BEDFORD
PART ONE: EVOLUTION: HOW OUR
UNDERSTANDING HAS CHANGED
CHARLES ROBERT DARWIN
(12 FEBRUARY 1809 19
DARWIN IS WELL KNOWN FOR
HIS THEORY OF EVOLUTION
DARWINS THEORY WAS
CONFIRMED ON A MAPPING
QUEST TO TH
INC1 Task 2
Ogeechee Canal Savannah, Georgia
Elevation: 5m / 16feet
Porphyrio martinicus (purple
Gallinule) A Bird that spends
its summers in the Savannah
Bald Cypress, Water
What is the scientific method? How is it used in the process of science to solve problems?
Explain and give examples of the following components of the scientific method:
asteroid made of rock and iron, orbit sun,
comet a celestial body, head of ice gas and dust, tail of dust and ionized gas
density mass per unit of volume
diffraction bending of waves around an object
Earth only planet that supports life, densest planet
What is the Theory of the Continental Drift?
German Geologist Alfred Wegener in 1915
Believed that all of Earths land was once one solid land mass
A super-continent, aka Pangea slowly broke apart and shifted to
where they are today due
Module 10 Connections Study Questions
1. Think about how the following branches of science are integrated, connected, and related:
Chemistry and Biology
Physics and Chemistry
Physics and Astronomy
Earth Science and Physics
Module 9 Organisms Study Questions
Topic: Chemical Reactions
1. What happens during a chemical reaction?
2. Why is the law of conservation of energy important in chemical reactions?
3. Explain how the following factors affect the reaction rate of chemical
Module 8 Ecosystems and Adaptations Study Questions
1. Define: autotroph, heterotroph, and chemoautotroph, and from these definitions, describe
how they each obtain energy.
Autotroph: organisms able to convert inorganic materials into foo
Module 7 Ecosystems and Environment Study Questions
Topic: Organisms and Their Environment
1. What are abiotic and biotic factors?
Abiotic are non-living and Biotic are living
2. Give examples of ecological studies performed at the population, community,
Module 6 Earth Processes Study Questions
Topic: Earths Changing Surface
1. Why did Wegeners hypothesis of continental drift fail and what was the evidence needed to
support his predictions- why was it literally an idea before its time?
Module 5 Earths Structure Study Questions
What are elements?
Any material that is made up of only one type of atom is classified as an element. # Of protons
distinguishes one element from another
Describe the location and charge of the
Module 4 Universe Study Questions
Topic: Nuclear Reactions
1. Describe the general structure of an atom.
Atoms are made up of electrons, neutrons, and protons. Nucleus (center) is made up of neutrons and
protons. Electrons float about the nucleus. Atom ha
Module 1 Scientific Concepts and Methodologies Study Questions
Topic: Scientific Methodologies
1. How are the scientific method and the process of science used to solve problems?
Scientific method is used to solve problems by keen observations, rational a
Module 3 Waves and the Electromagnetic Spectrum Study Questions
1. What is a wave?
A wave is a disturbance that travels through space and time accompanied by the transfer of energy. It
is a vibration, a vibration is a wiggle, and a wiggle tha
Module 2 Forces, Energy, and Motion Study Questions
Topic: Forces and Energy
1. What is potential energy?
Potential energy is stored energy that has the potential to do work
2. Give some examples of different types of:
a. Potential energy
Archers bow stri
Week 10 Connections
This last section serves as a review (there are no new readings, but you can review earlier content if you would like) and serves to encourage you to draw and examine connections among various branches of science