Exam #2 Essay section
1. Bells character Geneva Crenshaw argues to the Constitutional founders, The stark truth is
that the racial grief that persists today originated in the slavery institutionalized in the document
you are drafting.
Begin by supporting
Possible questions that could come from lectures.
1. List two justifications given by Martin Luther King, Jr. For speaking out against the U.S. war
on Vietnam (this comes from the speech played in class, Oct. 11).
The buildup of the war is an enemy of th
20. What was the advantage for the civil rights movement in seeking international support in the
campaign against racism in the US? What was the disadvantage.
Disadvantagehit American where it hurtaccused U.S. of genisy (slow killing of A.A.
23. How has the experience of American Blacks been unlike those of various immigrant groups?
not an alien population in this society but they are an alienated population.
Blacks are indigenous people who by birth right are entitled to all the pr
11. How did the U.S. Justice Department explain its interest in October, 1952 in the case of
Brown versus Board of Education? (Litwack, 95-125)
It explained the interest of the president and the executive branch and the eventual
12. In what way
9. Describe how the Supreme Court narrowly interpreted the meaning of the 15 amendment so
as to make it easier to prevent Blacks from voting?
you can pass all sorts of laws
i.e. grandfathers clause cant vote unless grandparents could vote
Impact of Campaign Money: Campaign money is brought in by the candidate themselves, their
individual supports, and their support committees such as PACs and 527s. SIG: This campaign
support can help to get a specific candidate elected b/c of the extra bac
1.) What is meant by a night watchman state? (Barash)
when the police and the military hold the powers of government
watch from afar.have limited government intervention/power
police and military hold most power
2.) What does it mean to achi
Unity is also a big thing that would aid the recovery from racism MLK (Where
Do We Go From Here) talks about needing to create full employment and
incomes, not allowing workers to waste talent, and fixing the housing problems
society improvement of the in
A. Possible exam questions from the assigned readings (the author is listed in parenthesis).
1. Who is Geneva Crenshaw and what is she hoping to convince her audience to do? (Bell)
She is a black woman and representative of the late 20 century to alter t