-christian theological movement that contrast trinitarianism
-reject trinity-no scriptual support
-reject idea that Jesus was God - no spiritual support
-reject original sin
-jesus came as a moral example; to assist those who work for moral e
Chapter 8- Prophets for a New Nation
The Church of England was facing the crisis of its life
- Most outside of New England left and the ones that stayed were required to swear
allegiance to the king. They couldnt do this because they had just established
Chapter 7 Notes:
Revolutions links to religion:
1) It initiated a pattern common in American wars (associated God with Americas cause)
2) Interpreted these wars as signs of Christs return to earth
DURING: Revolutionary War difficulties for some denominati
How do protestant differ from Catholics?Catholicism
Protestants dont listen to the pope, and priests can marry
Pope is considered the living representation of Christ on earth and what he says is infalliable.
From 325 C.E. to 1054 C.E. there was essentiall
Religion of the Founders
(A different kind of Christianity)
The founders were in fact religious! The elite founders were Christians But not Evangelical
Christians. Deism was influenced by Christianity. It was a non-trinitarian Christianity.
They focused o
* 3 reasons why Evangelicalism spread after the revolution
1. The need for order in the aftermath of the war & ruggedness of life on the frontier.
2. Evangelicalism went hand in hand with the nations feelings of Democracy. Both were about
taking matters i
Christian trinityThe Trinity=Father, Son, Holy Spirit
Three persons in one divine Being or Godhead
7 sacraments of Christianity
1. Baptism (pour holy water to cleanse sins)
2. confession (confessing sins to priest to be forgiven)
3. holy eucharist (body a
CH 9: Awakeners of the Heart
Evangelical- the word means the messenger of good news or gospel. Evangelicals preached
that Christs death and resurrection freed sinners from their shackles and reconciled them to God.
They preached this in meetings called Re
Civil Religion (political religion aka publick religion)
-belief that America is under Gods providence new israel
-is NOT a from of christianity
-it IS a from of unitarianism
-god is related to order, law and rights, not related to salvation and love
Egyptian view on the Soul?
The ancient Egyptians believed that a human soul was made up of five parts: the Ren,
the Ba, the Ka, the Sheut, and the Ib.
Ba= Personality, what makes all of us unique.
Ka= Life force, what makes something alive.