CIV E160 Case Study
Case Study 20 Points due Hard Copy: Monday 12/1/2014 at the beginning of class
Late work will not be accepted
You will be required to apply information that you learn to the Case Study Tasks
Recommend using any of:
a) Select a Case to
and R Charts
n = sample size
m = # of samples
A and D values found on pg. 762
x = xi
x + A 2 r
x A2 r
R Control Limits
r = 1 r i
D 3 r
IQR= q3 q1
Table of Contents
Cumulative Distribution Function.113
o Expected Value, Variance, Standard Deviation.115
Mean & Variance of a Continuous Uniform Random Variable.117
1. The probability is 0.3 that Professor Hemati will win a game of poker. If professor Hemati plays the game 16 times, find
the probability that
a.) Professor Hemati will win fewer than 5 games
Solution: Let X be the number of games played. This is a bino
The random variables X. I. Z have a multinomial distribution
with: 20.;21 =0.05, p3 =U.El5.,;o3 =0.lCI.
The range iscfw_x=0,1,2,., ,20,y = 0,L2,.-_, 20,: = U, l,2,-.,20,x+y+z = 20].
The marginal distribution ofX is binomial.
Reading and Comprehension Questions for Chapter 9
1. This is a correct statement of a statistical hypothesis: H 0 : x 10 .
False an hypothesis involves one or more parameters of a distribution, and the sample
mean is not a parameter.
2. A type
Reading and Comprehension Questions for Chapter 5
1. The probability distribution that describes the simultaneous behavior of two or more
random variables is called a joint distribution.
True see Section 5-1.
2. A marginal probability distribut
Reading and Comprehension Questions for Chapter 4
1. Continuous random variables take on discrete values.
False see Section 4-1.
2. The probability density function of a continuous random variable is a simple
description of the probabilities as
San Diego State University
Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
COURSE SYLLABUS CIV E 160 Schedule #: 20803
Statistical Methods for Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Fall Semester 2015
Instructor: Professor Hosse
HW-4 CIV E 160
Last Name: _ First: _Class ID #: _
Please print this page and attach your detail work on one- side of paper, typing is optional. Total
Due Date: Friday 9/25/15 at the Beginning of the Class late work will not be accepted.
1) Major Tools of SPC
A. Histogram- It uses rectangles proportionate in area to class frequencies. A
histogram helps you analyze what is going on in the process and helps show the
capability of a process. It also provides a graphical summary of the variat
1. Which of the following is NOT a major tool of the Statistical Process Control (SPC)?
A. Confidence Interval
2. _ is an invaluable way to examine the variability in time -oriented data.
A. Control charts
3. Which of the following is not part of the prob
1. What is the definition of an unbiased estimator?
C. An estimator that has its expected value equal to the parameter that is being estimated is
said to be unbiased.
1. If an interval estimate is said to be constructed at the 90% confidence level, the co
The random variable X has a discrete uniform distribution ranging from 0 to 12. Determine the
mean, standard deviation, and variance of X. (Ch. 3, pg 78).
= E(x) =
CIV E 160
In general, the unemployment rates have
decreased over the past few years. In this
experiment, I will test the hypothesis of a
decrease in unemployment rates in the
county of San Diego
Reading and Comprehension Questions for Chapter 8
1. The statistical interval that contains a stated proportion of the values of a probability
distribution is called a confidence interval.
False this is the definition of a tolerance interval.