The Portfolio is intended to encourage your reflection on course topics in personally
meaningful ways. Your responses should be within the page length guidelines provided
for each assignment and no longer t
Education wasnt what he wanted to perform on the world, me included.
He was after transformation.
-Tracy Kidder, Mountains Beyond Mountains
RTM 404, Spring 2017, W 7-9:40
Larry Beck, Ph.D.
Office Hours in PSFA 445:
Tuesdays 10-12 and Thursdays 10-12
Study GuideMountains Beyond Mountains
RTM 404: Cross-Cultural Perspectives of Tourism
This study guide will be useful as you prepare for the readings quizzes. You do
NOT have to turn it in. I ask that you complete the study guide independently and that
RTM 101 Cyber-Day Assignment #1 (Fall 2016)
Leisure & Recreation: Generational Change?
Section I: Defining Leisure and Recreation
Here are two definitions of leisure. First, leisure refers to the time when you are free from work
or other duties and can re
1. Why do national parks represent America!
for the benefit and enjoyment of people democracy. in us, you dont have to dependent on
some rich guy being generous to you, thats what national park mean, it is a symbol of democracy !
the most beautiful an
History of Recreation in US
1. Eras of recreation Development in U.S.!
(1) 1600 Period of Adjustment Survived!
- Strong Work Ethic!
- Non-Existent Leisure!
- Strong Religious Orientation!
- Limited Form of Recreation!
(2) 1700s Period
1. Key Historical People Recreation and Parks!
2. Recreation Systems Management !
- Definition of system!
A group of interesting, interrelated, or interdependent elements forming a complex
- The emphasis is then: !
Na#onal Parks Discussion Board Assignment
Student: Jiawen liu 820978633
1. Why do na;onal parks represent America
Because the core principle of na;onal parks is the idea of America itself. First of all, it is a sy
- 35 1 !
- leisure is important: every state have rec. park 50!
- changing society !
- attitude towards leisure, recreation & play!
- the three approaches to defining leisure: time activity state of mind !
- recreation & play
Historical Figures Discussion Assignment
Frederick Law Olmsted
Student: Jiawen liu 820978633
Frederick Law Olmsted, with most known work in designing New Yorks Central Park, was a great American
landscape architect desi
Torrey Pines State Reserve!
- Climate : carbon dioxide .!
2.Public Lands: for all people!
3. Federal Agencies!
- Department of interior!
(1)National Park .!
- Department of agriculture!
Manzanar: Never Again
1. The Japanese Americans dressed their finest, got there early for transfer to camps, and they built
the barracks where they were to be housed!
2. The barracks where they lived were made of scrap lumber and tar paper,
1. Is Australia a country or a continent?
2. Australia is both a modern nation and an ancient one. Explain.
3. Australia is larger than the continent of Europe but with a population of
20,000,000 it is _ times smaller.
4. How did modern Australi
1. How many people live in China? 1.3 billion
2. Within what time frame will China become the largest economy in the world? 20
3. What percentage of the Chinese landscape can actually be farmed? Less than 10%
4. What happened in 1978 that crea
LAR RY BECK, PH .D.
One of the most exciting trends in
world travel is the interest of tourists
in enjoying the novelty of a different
culture and land, while at the sa m e
tim e providing help to local commu
nities. M a ny travel gro ups (s u
Study GuidePBS Documentary Untold Stories
Yosemites Buffalo Soldiers
These questions are provided to help you focus on highlights for the next exam. You dont have to turn in
the answers. From the PBS Untold Stories view the following: Yosemites Buffalo So
As stated in the narrative above the Toraja people of Sulawesi, Indonesia grew much
resentment towards tourists due to having to adapt their sacred ceremonies to meet the needs
of tourists in the late 1980s. As a result of the resentment some
Making Acquaintances: Dos and Donts
1. Meeting and greeting. When meeting someone for the first time or being introduced
during a business of social meeting ensure that you shake hands with everyone present,
including children. Wait for
17th Feb 2015.
The Underlying Truths of Advertisements.
Living in the time of consumerism, every company is in a vicious circle to establish
superiority over its market.From the start of advertisements to present day,
1. Science should be
b. Objective- free from bias
d. Predictive testable
2. Science should not be
a. Dogmatic- open to new ideas
3. Steps to Science
c. Test design (
1) Social science society , people
2) Geog social science yes and no , sometimes physical, sometimes nothing
a) Overlaps with a lot of ideas ,
i) Political science- geog
ii) Econ- econ geography
iii) Sociology- social geog
iv) Art literature
v) Bio geogr
Day3 Geog Aug 28
1) Distance decay- close by things interact more than far
2) Sustainability using without exhausting
3) Cultural Ecology- human environment interaction
a) Environmental determinism- environmanet
determines your culture
Contact hypothesis says that tourist-host interactions can lead to various
types of outcomes due to exposure and want to adapt. However, in the described
scenario this contact tends to be negative.
Muslim countries are very strict about the clothing and a
Mixing of people from different parts of the world generally leads to many
differences in opinions and actions. Inter personal communication and behavior
differ (Pearce,1982). Scollon and Scollon list that some of major differences are
(a) Ideology, histo
elements, dimensions & interactions
Culture & Tourism
Culture impacts all aspects of tourism
Policy, planning, development, management, and marketing
Important to understand
the meaning and definition of culture
Quiz 3 rtm
Cross-Cultural Perspectives of
11/22/15 3:49 PM
11/22/15 4:10 PM
Attempt Score 12 out of 20 points
Time Elapsed 21 minutes
Module 4 Material
Values(what do they mean, how are they classified, what are the types, how can they be
Concept, interrelationships, dimensions, and measurements
Concept of Values
Values areIndividual perspective family, education, peace, ha
Cross-Cultural Perspectives of
8/29/15 7:42 PM
8/29/15 8:05 PM
Attempt Score 16 out of 25 points
Time Elapsed 23 minutes
Module 3 quiz two
Social Contact= social interaction : is multifactied concept
How does it take place, whos involved, what are the types?
Concepts, determinants, and measurements
Concept and Definitions
Multitude of different experie
Do's and Dont's of Yemen
1. Do respect Qat, and take great pride when purchasing it. This leaf is an essential part to life in
Yemen. Everywhere you turn you will likely see people sitting around chewing Qat. It is chewed at all
social gatherings, p