Reading Review: Placebo Effect
Placebo effect represents an important part of some patients healing process, and for
anthropologists the placebo effect is especially interesting because it is symbolic and
meaningful (56). According to Moerman, these proce
Reading Review: Nervoso
Nervoso is a wide category of distress which is related to franqueza (weakness) and
locura (madness), and it affects only poor people, however, it is more frequently in
Mediterranean and Latin American populatio
Review: The Local Confronts the Global: Infertile Bodies and the New Reproductive
Technologies in Egypt
Globalization has reached many places. Poor countries like Egypt are not the exception to the
rule. However, local culture has reshaped the
Reading review: The Egg and the Sperm: How Science Has Constructed a Romance Based on
Stereotypical Male-Female Roles.
Scientific language has constructed female and male reproductive systems definitions and
processes based on cultural gender
Reading review: An Anthropology of Structural Violence
The high incidences of Tuberculosis and AIDS is the result of historical, social, and economical
structural violence against the Haitian society.
Sinful social structures in Hait
Demes, Reproductive Isolation, and Species
- Deme: a local population of organisms that have similar genes, interbreed, and produce
- Evolution is about groups of organisms that have the potential to reproduces
- Gene Pool: all the genetic inf
- Charles Darwin got his start on questioning the origins of things from a 5-year voyage
around the world as a naturalist
- Species: a group of related organisms that can interbreed & produce fertile, viable
- Habitat: the specific
Anthropology Exam # 1 Review
Anthropos: human / Logian: to study.
Cultural relativism: when you try to understand other culture.
- Biocultural Evolution: evolutionally process which arises as a result of
interactions between different cultures and biolo