1. What is the celestial sphere? The imaginary sphere of the sky, on which stars lie.
2. What do we call a specific pattern of stars in the sky, often named for an animal? A
3. What is the celestial equator? An imaginary line in the sky, di
Describe the method of distance measurement by triangulation.
on constructing a triangle, one side of which is the distance to be
That side is then calculated by measuring another side
(the base line) and the two angl
Name the eight planets in order of increasing distance from the Sun.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus & Neptune.
Make a table listing separately the inner and outer planets
THE INNER PLANETS
Astronomy Group Essay Test
6. What is a parallax? The shift in an object's position caused by
the observer's motion. A method for finding distance on that shift.
How is it measured? Distance, d, is simply 1/p if we measure p in arc
seconds and d, not in k
How long does it take the Moon to go through a cycle of phases?
Approximately 29.5 days.
What is the difference between lunar and solar eclipses?
eclipse is when the earth passes between the Sun and the Moon and cast
Take Home Midterm Test
1. How is it possible to determine what elements may be present, and
in what form or state from a spectrum? A technique called
spectroscopy is used to capture and analyze a spectrum. In the form
of light waves.
2. What is a solar da
What is meant by inertial?
It's the tendency of a body at rest to
remain at rest or of a body in motion to keep moving in a straight
line at a constant speed.
Explain how inertia and gravity are both involved in an orbit?
What is the celestial sphere?
A Dome that surrounds earth used to
describe the fixed positions and motions of stars and heavens so they
are easier to visualize.
What is the celestial equator?
A useful sky marker or imaginary
1. The light year is a unit of distance
2. You write your home address in the order of street, town, state, and so on. Suppose
you were writing your cosmic address in a similar manner. Which of the following is the
correct order? Earth, Solar System, Milk
How did Shapley deduce the Milky Way's size and the Sun's position in
From a study of globular star clusters.
Draw a sketch of the Milky Way Galaxy and label its major components?
Where is the Sun in the Milky Way?