SOCIAL STUDY GUIDE EXAM 2
CHAPTER FOUR- SOCIAL PERCEPTION
Social Perception- The study of how we form impressions of and make inferences about other
Nonverbal Communication- The way in which people communicate, intentionally or
1. Define prejudice. Have you ever been the victim of prejudice?
Prejudice is a hostile or negative attitude toward people in a distinguishable group, based solely on
their membership in that group. Yes I have but thankfully not a
1. What are attitudes? Why are they important? How might some attitudes be an indirect function of
our genetic makeup?
Attitudes are evaluations of people, objects and ideas. They are important because the things we
do and how we a
1. What is your reaction to the McDonalds hoax described in the introduction?
Personally, I thought it was a ridiculous situation that someone would actually take the time and
effort do produce such hoaxes like that. I just cant wr
1. What is the propinquity effect? What did Festinger et al. (1950) discover? Why does the
propinquity effect work?
Propinquity effect is the finding that the more we see and interact with people, the more likely
they are to becom
1. What are your thoughts/reactions to the September 11th story at the beginning of the chapter?
Waves of emotions flooded back as I recalled images of the 9/11 attack while reading the story. I
didnt realize that these things act
Reading Guide for Chapter 4
1. What is social perception?
Social perception is the study of how we form impressions of and make inferences about other people.
2. Identify the different channels of nonverbal communication.
Facial expressions and various cu
Chapter 5 Reading Guide
1. What is self-concept? Do animals have a self-concept? How does self-concept develop in
Self-concept is a sense of self; how a person (or other species for that matter) see and view
themselves. Animals, such as chimps and
Reading Guide for Chapter 2
1. Who was Kitty Genovese? How did her death impact the field of social psychology?
Kitty Genovese was assaulted and murdered in the alley of an apartment complex in Queens, New York.
Despite lots of people witnessing the attac