1. Which of the following minerals will NOT scratch glass?
2. 2. The mineral zircon (ZrSiO4) is a(n)
3. 3. The tendency of a mineral to break along flat, even surfac
Waves, Currents and Tides
Wavelength (L) = distance between 2 successive crests (A and B);
(units in m, cm,.etc.)
Period (T) = time between 2 successive crests; (units in sec, min, hr.)
Crest = the highest point of the w
Chapter 2 Minerals: Building Blocks of Rocks
1) Which of the following best defines a mineral and a rock?
A) A rock has an orderly, repetitive, geometrical, internal arrangement of minerals; a mineral is a
lithified or consolidated aggregate of rocks.
Determining Geologic Ages
Clues to Earths Past
Past events get preserved in rocks!
To understand the past, we need to look at the
present - Doctrine of Uniformitarianism
Two types of AGES
(1) Relative (e.g. A > B or B > A ?)
Approximate age of
vi y re
vi y re
Ch. 1 What is Earth Science? Notes
4 sub topics of earth science
-astronomystudy of universe
-geology study of earth
-oceanographystudy of ocean
-meterologystudy of atmosphere and processes involving weather
Nebular Hypothesis the solar system fo
Mineral CH.2 Lecture Notes
Elements basic building blocks of minerals
Atoms smallest particle of matter; have characteristics of an element
Nucleus is the central part of the atom containing neutrons and protons
Protons= positive charge; neutrons= no char
What is Earth Science?
1. The hypothesis that proposes that the solar system formed from a
swirling cloud of gases is called
Earth centered hypothesis
The universe hypothesis
2. 2. The sun's energy drives which of
Chapter 14 Ocean temperature Variation
1. What is salinity and how is it usually expressed? What is the average salinity of
Salinity is the total amount of solid material that is dissolved in the ocean water; it
is usually expr
Chapter 13 The Vast World Ocean
1. How does the area of Earth;s surface covered by oceans compare to the area
covered in land?
In the northern hemisphere, 61% covered by ocean, 39% by land (LAND
hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere, 81%
Chapter 12 Birth of a Planet
1. Explain why earth is just the right size.
If it were bigger, it would have retained a thick atmosphere of methane and
ammonia. If it were smaller, volatiles such as oxygen, water vapor, etc. would
2. Why is Earths m
Chapter 11 A Brief History of Geology
1. Why is using a geologic time scale a useful tool?
Because it puts events into perspective and revolutionized the way humans think
and how they perceive our planet
2. Contrast catastrophism and unif