March 21, 2013
Art History, Bradbury
Changes throughout History:
The Representation of the Buddha
Throughout various periods in India, a prominent figure of Indian culture, the Buddha,
made a significant change in both meaning, and aesthetics.
1. Durham Cathedral, The Shrine of St. Cuthbert. Last Modified 2012. Accessed December
12, 2012.http:/www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/. Accessed December 12, 2012.
2. Google Images. Last Modified, 2012. Accessed December 12, 2012
Overall: Are humans the only ones who have culture? Do other animals (besides humans) have
any kind or degree of culture?
1) What is culture? When discussing animal culture, then scale it back to just the 1st part
Human Instincts Homework
1. What behaviors do you think are instinctive in humans?
a) fight or flight
b) maternal instincts
c) reproductive instincts
d) foraging for food
2. How would you test to determine what is actually
Is It Culture Key
1. Is the behavior LEARNED? Is it learned or instinctive?
1a) if the animal/human that has this behavior is isolated from birth, and performs it, the
behavior is likely INSTINCT.
Stop, not culture.
1b) if all animals of this species perf