Review Questions - Muscle
1. Describe a skeletal and smooth muscle fiber/cell.
striated muscle is skeletal and cardiac -striations are visible under the electron
microscope bc of the organization of actin and myosin into sarcomeres
smooth muscle is myom
Review Questions (Week 1: Introductory Content)
1. Define and functions and unique features of each intracellular organelle covered in
2. Describe the extracellular matrix in terms of structure and function.
3. Compare and contrast desmosomes
Gastrointestinal (GI) review questions and supplemental notes
1. Describe the different tissue layers of the GI tract. pg 1398
Mucosa - Innermost layer of cells, comprise the lumen of the GI tract. The mucosa is folded into
villi and microvilli. The vill
Sleep Physiology Review Questions:
1. Provide a scientific definition of sleep. How does sleep differ physiologically from wakefulness or from
Sleep is a reversible behavioral state of perceptual disengagement from and unresponsiveness to the
1. Identify the primary structures of the pulmonary system.
Upper airways - nasopharynx and oropharynx
Right lung has 3 lobes, upper and middle lobes separated by a transverse fissure, middle
and lower lobes separated by
Neurophysiology Review Questions
1. List several of the basic functions of the nervous system.
receive, transmit, and interpret information about the internal and external
environment (sensory system), and to organize and carry out actions (motor
Immunology Review Questions:
1. Compare and contrast the innate and adaptive immune defenses (consider the particular
cell types and mechanisms).
Innate immunity- if the epithelial barrier is damaged, a highly efficient local and systemic
Review Questions Genetics
1. Compare and contrast mitosis and meiosis.
Mitosis is cell division that occurs in somatic cells- 46 chromosomes in nucleusdiploid cells= 23 pairs of chromosomes- 22/23 chromosome pairs are virtually
identical- called homologo
Hematology Review Questions:
1. List three major groups of plasma proteins and state their functions.
albumin contributes to colloid osmotic pressure
bind substances (bilirubin, drugs [penicillin]) for transport
globulins coagulation factors
1. Describe the different cell types that are found in the heart and detail the characteristic and action of
each cell type.
Smooth muscle cells and endothelial cells- line the arteries and veins
Neuroanatomy Review Questions
1. Define, in detail, the components of the nervous system including the central and peripheral divisions, and
sensory and motor components. Place particular emphasis on understanding the function of the autonomic