Chapter 8 The New Century
* Note: Some of the people included in this chapter were covered in our discussion of spirituals.
1. Read the paragraph on page 265. Be familiar with the people named in it.
Nationalistic Music of Black Composers (B
GEMU 480 - Reading Guide
Chapter 9 Precursors of Jazz
1. Early ragtime is associated with the piano. The left hand kept a steady beat and the right hand played syncopated
2. Read the excerpt from Booker T. Washingtons Up From Slavery that
Chapter 3 Two Wars and the New Nation
1. What is significant about Crispus Attucks?
2. Approximately how many blacks fought in the Revolutionary War?
3. Identify Barzillai Lew. Locate him on the Internet. Was he a free black or a slave?
Chapter 5 - Antebellum Rural Life
Related Material on the Spiritual
* Note that this Reading Assignment includes information from parts of the textbook other than Chapter 5.
Page numbers have been provided in the assignment for material
Conscious Hip Hop in Kenya
Blacks in American Music
In 1952, several groups of the African people in Kenya decided to ban together and rise
up against the ruthless treatment, injustices and domination placed on
Chapter 7 After the War
1. Review the introductory information on pages 223-224.
Songs of the People
2. Interpret the first two sentences in the opening paragraph.
They sang about what was around them and who they had become, who they could
Chapter 4 - Antebellum Urban Life
* Look up the definition of "antebellum," if you are not already familiar with the term. Also, be aware of the term's
etymology. (Define etymology.)
The VSU Library homepage will lead you to an on-line versi
Blacks in American Music GEMU480-02
Music is such an interesting thing it can be used for expression ones feelings, teaching,
communication, and many more. I learned this when I went t