Diffraction- Group Practice
1) A diffraction grating has 1000 slits/cm and is used to study the light emitted from a
star. What is the angular difference between the first order spots for green light at a
wavelength of 0.5m (510-7 m) and red l
Chapter 41- HW solution
E:6,24,25,26,29,30,31 P: 1,10
Note: For sunlight (or white light) through a double slit, each wavelength (each color)
will go to a specific angle, however the central maxima (when path difference is zero (or
m = 0 for t
Ch 39 - Practice Problems
1) How tall does a plane mirror need to be in order for you to see your entire
image reflected in it?
2) The critical angle of a certain piece of plastic in air is 37.3. Find its critical
angle if it is immersed in wa
Combination of lenses
1- Two converging lenses
Two converging lenses are 90cm apart. The 30cm focal length lens is to the left of the 15cm
focal length lens. A 15 cm tall arrow is placed 90cm to the left of the 30 cm focal length lens.
Where does the fina
Ch 38 Practice
1- Specify if the statements below are true or false
a) Electromagnetic waves are transverse
b) Intensity is a concept relevant for both EM waves and for sound waves
c) If the electric field in an EM wave decreases in magnitude
Ch 17 Practice
1) The following graphs and equations describe three examples of SHM. Use the graph
data to fill in the values in the equations or the equation values to fill in the graphs. Show
your work in the space below the graph.
1- A single slit 0.10 mm wide which is 2.0 m from the screen is illuminated by light of
wavelength 580 nm. Find the width of the central maximum and plot the approximate
intensity as a function of the angle.
2- The pattern
Ch 18 Practice
1) A traveling wave on a string is driven by a tuning fork vibrating at 60 Hz. A section of
the wave is shown below for time t= 0.
a) What is the equation of motion for this wave if we know it is moving in +x direction?
b) How f
Ch 37 practice
1- A 60 resistor, a 4.0 F capacitor and a 0.60 H inductor are connected in series to a
240 Hz sinusoidal voltage source with Vmax = 160 V. What is the maximum current in
amps delivered to the circuit?
2- A series R-L-C circuit c
1- A coil of 200 turns is wrapped on an 18.0 cm by 18.0 cm frame. The total resistance of
the coil is 2.00. A magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coil is change
from 0.500 T to 0 Tesla in 0.800 s. a) Find t
1) A concave mirror has a radius of curvature of 40 cm. (a) What is its focal
length? (b) What is the focal length of the mirror when its immersed in water?
2) A 0.6 cm tall object is placed at a distance of 16.5 cm from a con
Ch 19 Practice
(Note: Use 350 m/s for speed of sound in air)
1) A resonance tube is employed to find the frequency of a tuning fork. The tube is open
at one end and closed at the other end. The water level indicates the positions of
Chapter 36- Practice 2
1) A 12 mH inductor and a 4 resistor are connected in series through a switch to a 25 V
a) What is the potential difference across the inductor at 3 ms after the switch is closed?
b) Find the maximum energ
1) In a Young's double slit set-up, coherent light of wavelength travels from the
left and strikes a mask containing two very small slits separated by distance d.
The light passing through the slits forms an interference
Chapter 36- HW solution
For = +46 the charge on the capacitor is decreasing, for = 46 it is increasing.
To check this, we can calculate the derivative of q with respect to time, evaluated for
t = 0. We obtain dq/dt = Q sin