November 22, 2016
The Constellation Cancer aka The Crab
Forty-one light years away lay the constellation Cancer. It is located between Leo and
Gemini. Cancer is most commonly found using the major stars in the con
1. Mercury's core is:
Extremely large in comparison to Mercury's total size
2. Mercury rotates three times about its axis every
two times it orbits the sun
3. Which planet is closest in size to Earth?
4. Which planet has the most similar axial ti
1. If we decide to make the length of one day equal to the time it took the earth to complete a
single revolution about its axis, what would change?
Our days would be slightly shorter and as a result, the sun would reach its highest point in
the sky at a
1. If electromagnetic radiation could not travel through a vacuum, how would this affect our ability
to do astronomy?
The entire sky would be dark at all wavelengths. We would not be able to gather any
information about anything in space from earth and t
1. List the eight planets in the order they appear from the sun.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
2. Which of these is NOT a fundamental difference between terrestrial and jovian planets?
Jovian planets are much older than t
1. Why do we think the pressure and temperature inside the sun is so high?
Based on our understanding of physics and the fact that the sun has such a large mass,
for the sun to remain in hydrostatic equillibrium, the pressure, and hence the