ARC322 Homework #1B
Since A = B, R1 = R2 = P/2 = 12,500 LB/2 = 6,250 LB
W = wL = (1200 LB/ft)(28 ft) = 33,600 LB W would then be placed at the center of the span, so R1 = R2 = W/2 = 33,600 LB/2 = 16,800 LB
R1 = PB/L = (7750 LB)(6 ft)/21 ft = 2214.
ARC322 Quiz 9 14 Points
What is fb for a structural member where it is loaded normal to its strong axis for the purposes of ARC322? fb = 0.667 fy = 0.667 x 36,000 lb/in2 = 24,000 lb/in2 (rounded)
What is fb for a structural membe
Arc322 Quiz 10 2008
Pick the appropriate letter from the moment and shear diagrams below based on the beam descriptions in Questions 1 4.
1. For a simple beam with a concentrated load at its center, identify the moment and shear diagram
ARC322 Homework #14 16 Points
1. A W18x35 spans 25 ft. It carries a load of 239,000 lb from an interior column (W12x58) on the top of the W18x35 10 ft from R1. Is web stiffening required in the beam? Structural Diagram Required. P = 239,000 LB on a W
ARC322 Homework 16 12 Points
1. A building measures 40 ft by 100 ft. It carries a DL = 35 lb/ft2 (w/o joist DL) Tributary 35 lb/ft2 x 5 ft = 175 lb/ft It carries a LL = 20 lb/ft2 Tributary 20 lb/ft2 x 5 ft = 100 lb/ft The joists are spa
ARC322 Homework 17 16 Points KEY RYAN . on this one, they can use EITHER timber or beam allowable stresses . I've done it for both . EITHER solution is OK .
1. Select a wood beam for a span of 24 ft with a spacing of 6 ft OC where the DL+LL is 135lb
ARC322 Homework 18 . 15 Points
1. A 2x4 wall supports a 4x8 wood beam normal to the wall with a total load of 25,000 lb on the beam (1/2 of the load goes to the wall). Is the condition OK with respect to compression perpendicular to grain? 2 po
ARC322 Homework 19 29 points
1. A simple DFL 4x8 No.1 beam spans 18 ft and carries a load of 325lb/ft. Show that the Beam specified is OK in bending. If it is not OK, select an appropriate size beam. Is it OK with respect to horizontal shear? I
ARC322 Homework 20 26 Points
1. A DFLSS 6x18 wood beam spans 20 ft. It carries a DL+LL of 185lb/ft. Is it Ok in deflection based on L/240? 4 points
1 point dwg Deflection = 5WL3/384EI D = (5(3700 lb)(20 ft x 12 in/ft)3)/(384 x 1,600,000 lb/in2
ARC322 Homework 21 25 points . NO POINTS 2008
1. Design a wood beam that simply spans 14ft. The beams are on 6ft centers. The beam carries a DL of 35lb/ft2 and a LL of 40lb/ft 2. The beam sits atop a 2x4 wall. Use DFLSS.
2 points dwg
ARC322 Homework 23
1. Can columns undergo both axial compression and bending stresses simultaneously? Yes. There are a couple of common ways. First, they can be loaded under gravity conditions eccentrically which will create bending as well as axial
ARC322 Quiz 11 Winter 2008
Why did bolts replace rivets in structural member joining? Bolting was more economical than riveting.
What is the most common high strength bolt grade generally specified for structural member joining? A3
ARC322 Quiz 12 2008
What is light gage steel framing made from? A B C D E F G Aluminum Aluminum coated structural steel Galvanized steel Brazed Steel Galvanized Aluminum Anodized Aluminum Steel
What is needed if a light steel frame
ARC322 Quiz 13 2008 9 Points
Horizontal Shear Stress
When designing a wood beam, which stress is the most limiting?
What is the actual cross sectional area of a 4x4?
3.5 in x 3.5 in = 12.25 in2
When designing a wood beam, what
ARC322 Quiz 8 10 Points
A simple beam spans 24 ft. It carries a point load 10 ft from R1. Sketch the generic shear diagram.
2. What are the two code allowable design methods for steel? A. ASD . Allowable Stress Design . sometimes cal
ARC322 Quiz 7
A round extra strong steel column has a tributary area of 1000 ft2 and carries a DL of 85 lb/ft 2 and a LL of 45 lb/ft 2. The column has an unsupported length of 15 ft. What is the most economical column diameter that ca
ARC322 Homework 4 20 Points
1. What is the weight per foot of a L3x2x1/4? 1 Point 4.1 lb/ft 2. What is the least radius of gyration of the L3x2x1/2? 1 Point 0.428 in
3. What is the inside diameter of a 5" diameter extra strong pipe? 1 Point 4.8
ARC322 Homework 4 2008
1. A WF has a maximum moment of 124,500 ft-lb. Select a WF for this condition. W16x40 Check: S = M/f = (124,500 ft-lb x 12 in/ft)/24,000 lb/in2 = 62.25 in3 W16x40 S = 64.7 in3 . OK (Note . a W14x43 will also work with an S = 62
ARC322 Homework #5 2008 1. You are designing a steel frame structure. The columns are on a 40' grid. The DL+LL is 265 lb/ft2. What is the most efficient WF beams under the two possible loading conditions?
Tributary Area A A = 20 ft x 40 ft =
ARC322 Homework 8 30 Points Total . 1 Point Each Diagram
M = PL/4 = (12,500 LB x 24 ft)/4 = 75,000 ft-lb 1 point S = M/f = (75,000 ft-lb x 12 in/ft)/24,000 lb/in2 = 37.5 in3 1 point NOTE: Final test MUST be shown for each member selected. W16x26 S =
ARC322 Homework #9 . Module 13 15 Points
1. A cantilever beam has an L of 8 ft and supports a load of 1875 lb/ft 6 ft from the root of the beam to the 6 ft location. Select a WF member based on a calculated S. 3 points w = 1875 lb/ft
6 ft 8 ft
ARC322 HW#11 Module 15 2008
A simple beam (W27x94) spans 29 ft. It carries a uniform load of 1275lb/ft. What is the maximum shear stress? Does it meet the ASD allowable? 4 points
A W14x53 cantilevers 8 ft. It carries a 8,000 lb point lo
ARC322 HW#10 Module 14 2008 No Sketches are Required
1. A beam has a required S of 87.5 in3. Select a WF. 1 point
From Sx Table W18x50 . Sx = 18.9 in3 > 87.5 in3 . OK . close consider beam weight 2. A beam has a required S of 167 in3. Select a
ARC322 Quiz 1 Winter 2008
1. What are the units of moment used in the flexure formula for a beam? In-lb Lb/in2
2. What are the units of E?
3. What are the units of shear stress? Lb/in2 4. What are the units of section modulus? In2
5. What is
ARC322 Winter 2008 Quiz 2 . 10 Points
You have calculated a required section modulus of 100.52 in3. Which Steel member would you select based on the most economical member? A. B. C. D. E. F. G. W12x72 where S = 97.4 in 3 W14x68 where
ARC322 Winter 2008 Quiz 3 . 14 Points
1 Paragraph Essay with Required Diagram 1. Should the architect seek maximum strength (ultimate strength) when designing a structural member such as a beam or column considering stress vs. strain? W
ARC322 Quiz 4
Place your final answers in the boxes provided.
1. A simple steel beam carries a uniformly distributed load of 1235 lb/ft in a 25 ft span. What is the required section modulus? No sketch required.
M = wL2/8 = (1
ARC322 Quiz 5 Name _KEY_ 10 Points . No Sketches Required UNLESS Specifically Asked
1. What is the formula for the maximum moment of a simple beam with a concentrated load at its mid span? M = PL/4 2. What is the formula for the maximum moment for a
ARC322 Quiz 6
Calculate the require section modulus for a simple beam that spans 28 ft and carries a uniform load do 2200 lb/ft. No sketch required. M = wL2/8 = (2200 lb/ft)(28 ft)2/8 = 215,600 ft-lb S = M/f = (215,600 ft-lb x 12 in/ft)/
ARC322 Quiz 14 . 14 Points
What is E for a 4x8 DFL No 1 beam? 1,700,000 lb/in2
What three stresses would need to be resolved for the beam/reaction shown in the photo at the right at the reaction? A Shear Stress B Compression perpendicular to