Lab #4 Report
Sterilization is the removal or killing of all microorganisms from an object or surface. In the case
of this lab, we sterilized the inoculating loop by exposing it to extremely high heat in the
MICROBIOLOGY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY REVIEWS, Mar. 2011, p. 133191
Copyright 2011, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.
Vol. 75, No. 1
Oxidative Stress Resistance in Deinococcus radiodurans
Wan et al., J Proteomics Bioinform 2013, S6
Proteomics & Bioinformatics
Mechanisms of Radiation Resistance in Deinococcus radiodurans R1
Revealed by the Reconstru
MICROBIOLOGY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY REVIEWS, Mar. 2001, p. 4479
1092-2172/01/$04.000 DOI: 10.1128/MMBR.65.1.4479.2001
Vol. 65, No. 1
Genome of the Extremely Radiation-Resistant Bacterium
Deinococcus radiodurans Viewed from the Perspective
of Comparative Ge
Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 43:221238, 2008
Copyright c Informa Healthcare USA, Inc.
ISSN: 1040-9238 print / 1549-7798 online
Deinococcus radiodurans: What Belongs
to the Survival Kit?
THE CONSUMMATE SURVIVOR
Michael M. Cox* and John R. Battista
Abstract | Relatively little is known about the biochemical basis of the capacity of Deinococcus
radiodurans to endure the genetic insult that results from expos
Fall 301 Microscopy Lab
NAME: Bogdan Lisovenko
1. Review how to use a bright-field light microscope (general instructions pg 74-83 of Techniques in
Microbiology; specific instructions, cheesy video).
2. Calibrate ocular micrometer (pg 117-120 Techn
1. From your textbook find (i) the target site within the cell where these antibiotics act, (ii) the
metabolic function these drugs interfere with, and (iii) how do bacteria become resistant to
2. Your organism
1. We found endospores in the tube that we had boiled for 15 minutes.
2. The purpose of only boiling one tube was to kill off as many other microorganisms as possible in
order to see the clear endospores.
3. Bacillus can be
Lab #3 Report
Based on the cells I studied, I can conclude that eukaryotes are much larger than bacteria.
The eukaryotes I looked at was the Amoeba, algae, and protozoa, which are all part of the
Lab #1 Report
1. The microorganisms that grew on my plate were bacteria.
2. Iodine acts as a mordant which increases a cells affinity for the dye.
3. Some bacteria remain stained purple because they are Gram-positive, which means t
The milk and butter milk mixture seems to be of good quality.
(1) Microorganisms in the mil
1. 6x10^-5 phages/mL
2. E. coli has the T4 phage and the lambda phage. The T4 phage is large with an icosahedral capsid
and a double stranded genome with eukaryote like introns. The lambda phage has a linear
1. Enterobacteriaceae is Gram-negative, rod-shaped, are facultative anaerobes, and produce lactic
acid. Most of them have many flagella and do not form spores.
2. Other bacteria that can be found in the human gut are Peptost
Odor (sweet, tangy,
Results of gram stain
Firm, thick, some
Your yogurt made
JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY, Mar. 2002, p. 16491660
0021-9193/02/$04.000 DOI: 10.1128/JB.184.6.16491660.2002
Copyright 2002, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.
Vol. 184, No. 6
RecA Protein from the Extremely Radioresistant Bacterium