Geography Notes 2: Test 2
Atmospheric and Oceanic Circulation
- All main gases in the atmosphere are uniformly mixed.
- The most common are:
1. Nitrogen and it is 78 % of the atmosphere.
2. Oxygen which is 21 % of the atmosphere.
3. Argon is le
Geography 17 Exam 3 Notes
VIII. Ocean Currents
B. Global Patterns
- 2. Upwelling: the vertical rise of cold deep ocean waters up to the surface of the water
along the western coastlines of all the continents.
o The trade winds will be pooling the surface
V. Global Surface Winds (Horizontally moving)
- There is low pressure at the Equator.
- Look at the notes in the binder to see a diagram.
Global Winds (See Diagram)
Between 0-30 degrees you have the Trades. North of the equator is Northeast Trades and
1. Earth Sun Relationship
GET A SCANTRON FOR THE MAPPING QUIZ ON WEDNESDAY
A. Shape of the Earth:
The shape of the earth is not round. The earth is in the shape of an Oblate Spheroid. This
is a fancy way of describing a squashed balloon. The earth is squa