IN Class SheetWilliam James, 13 March 2014
1. Why does James draw a distinction between existential judgment and a proposition of value?
Which does James use as his starting point for the study of religious psychology?
2. What does James mean by religious
IN Class Sheet March 20 William James
1. What is the role of happiness in human life, according to James?
2. What is a once-born person (James invented the term born again, twice born)?
3. What is it about Walt Whitman that makes him he
Religion and Psychology (REL/PSY 115)
T & R: 10:45 am - 12:00 pm
Religion Studies Department, Lehigh University
2014 Spring Semester
Professor Lloyd Steffen
Office: The Dialogue Center (661 Taylor Street)
Phone: Off: 610-758-3877 Hours: TBA +
In-Class Questions - March 18, 2014 (No class on Tuesday, March 25)
Circumscription of the Topic
1. What is the essence of religion according to James? What is James saying about concepts?
Consider page 40 later on when he comes back to essencewhat does h
In-Class Sheet (March 25 (no class) and March 27, 2014
The Sick Soul
1. Why does James say Catholics have a healthy-mindedness in their rituals? Which rituals
2. Are sick souls polytheistic-pluralist or monistic (monotheistic)? What connection
In class Study Sheet for April 3, 2014 - Victor Frankl
Terms you should know, questions you should be able to answer:
1. What are third stage mental reactions?
2. How is logotherapy different from psychoanalysis?
3. What is existential frustration and def