1. What is meant by parapraxis?
2. Why does the patient close the consultation room door if there are people in the waiting room?
Why does the patient leave the consultiaton room door open if no one is in the waiting room?
3. What are the three parts of a
In Class February 11, 2014
1. Are as if fictions true or false? What are we to do with them? p. 28
2. Is an illusion an error or even necessarily false (for falsification go to 52)? Give two examples
of illusions Freud gives.
3. Are illusions capable of b
In-Class questions from students, January 30, 2014.
Libidorefers to sexual instincts, drives, urges on analogy to hunger, libido is the name of the
force (in this case the sexual instinct, as in the case of hunger that of the nutritive instinct, buy
In Class Sheet, February 6, 2014
1. What are the trends of civilization (p. 6)
2. Why does F. say every civilization is built up of renunciation of instinct and coercion?
3. What is Fs attitude toward the masses (p. 7)?
4. What are the two characteristics
In-Class February 4, 2014
1. What is the difference between a Totem and a Taboo? What is the source of a taboo? Is its
source divine ordinance or rules? (what is mana?)
2. Identify characteristics of a taboo from the impartial Thomas account. (27 ff)
In classJanuary 28, 2014
Questions/issues for consideration:
From chapter 23.
1. P. 446Symptom is a meeting place between which two forces? What are the two forces?
What is the compromise? What is the role of the ego (consciousness) in agreeing or not
IN class sheet 27 February 2014
1. Who is Sophia and how is that related to God before the creation? 24
2. How is Sophia related to the Gospel of John? 26
3. What is a psychopomp?
4. What does God project and on whom? 28 See also p. 70
5. How are Cain and
Questions In-class sheet: 20 February 2014
1. What is the collective unconscious and what is the relation of it to archetypes and archetypal
images? Why does Jung say religious ideas go back to archetypes (45 in Jung reading#1)
(Unconscious reading Clift)
In Class sheetJanuary 21, 2014 Freud chapters XVIII-XX
1. What is fixation and what is its role in obsessional neurosis? What is the fixation in the two
cases from the previous chapter?
2. Why does not every fixation lead to a neurosis? What is the
In-class sheet February 25, 2014
1. Who was Job? Who wanted Job tested and who gave permission?
2. Who created Satan (Lucifer) and why doe she have such easy access to Yahweh?
3. What happens to Job? What is it Satan wants Job to do?
4. What do Jobs frien
In Class Sheet January 30, 2014
1. What is narcissism and what does F. mean by auto-eroticism? What does he mean by saying
narcissism is the original state of things?
2. What is the opposite of egoism and is it sexual?
3. When altruism converges with
For Class # 4January 23
1. Why is it a kiss can be a perversion?
2.Perverse and normal sexuality both arise out of what?
3. What is the Oedipal complex? Freud says it is a source of (what) which neurotics suffer
4. Freud says religion and ethics may