Lecture homework due 10/2/08 Name _ 1. Explain how fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) works. What is actually being detected with an fMRI scan and a PET scan? In what ways are fMRI scan better than PET scans. In what ways are PET scans better?
Homework due 9/23/08 Name _ Fields, R. D. (2006). Beyond the Neuron Doctrine. Scientific American Mind. 20-27 1. What is the neuron doctrine? What Nobel Laureate is credited with formulating this doctrine? What other Nobel Laureate (who jointly received t
Homework due 9/23/08 Name _ 1. Define the CNS and PNS. What substructures comprise these subdivisions? What are the bones that surround the CNS? Define the following neuroanatomical terms: ganglia, nucleus. Would ganglia and nuclei be composed of grey mat
Homework due 9/18/08 Name _ 1. What determines whether a neurotransmitter is excitatory or inhibitory? Can a particular neurotransmitter be both excitatory and inhibitory? Explain.
2. Which neurotransmitter is the principal excitatory neurotransmitter in
Lecture homework due 9/13/07 Name _ 1. What are the 6 types of postsynaptic membranes that receive input from axons and what are each of these 6 types of synapses called? Is the chemical messenger a neurotransmitter in every case? Explain.
2. What are Gra
1. Lecture homework due 9/9/08 Name _ 2. What is the formula for the Nernst equation? What does the Nernst Equation allow you to predict? What exactly do you have to measure to make the prediction (make sure you understand this)?
3. What three assumptions
Homework due 9/9/08 Name _ Fields, D.R. (April 2004) The other half of the brain. Scientific American. 54-61 1. What did Marion Diamond find to be unusual about the anatomy of Einsteins Brain? What might this suggest about the role of glia in brain functi
Homework due 9/4/08 Name _ 1. What is a satellite cell? Where is it located? What does it do?
2. What is a ganglia? What is a nucleus (according to a neuroanatomist, not a cell biologist, look this up in the book)?
3. What is a Schwann Cell? How is it sim
Lecture Homework due 9/4/07
Name_ 1. Of what are membranes made? What are the hydrophilic (polar) and hydrophobic (nonpolar) parts of a membrane? What causes the difference between the two?
2. What gives a membrane its unique properties?
3. Describe the t
Homework due 8/28/08 Name _ 1. What edition of our text is the appropriate one for the course? What "bad" things do you suppose might happen if you use the first or second edition?
2. How are you evaluated in this course and how are the components weighte
Homework due 9/30/08 Name _ 1. Show schematically how a primitive vertebrate brain (fish brain) was transformed into a human brain during the course of evolution by drawing a reptile brain, a quadruped mammalian brain, and a human brain. Explain what happ