224. Gardner's argument for multiple intelligences receives support from the
A) existence of creative intelligence.
B) 10-year rule.
C) characteristics of savant syndrome.
D) existence of a g factor.
225. Chandra is very athletic and is able to quickly ma
Sexual meaning develops w/ language
Concrete idea of sexuality becomes more
involvement of others
Evolution of Sexual Behavior
reproductive = coitus when female is ovulating
non reproductive = everything else (masturbation;
paraphernalia; anal, oral, manual se
Sex and Gender
Part I : Sex
1. Typical Sex Development
2. Sex Differences in the Brain
3. Sex Development Diversity
Part II : Gender
Part II: TransGender
Genes and Hormones Guide Sex Development
Sex chromosomes determine the development
NICOLE K. MCNICHOLS
P S YC H 2 1 0 , S P R I N G 2 0 1 6
PREVALENCE OF SEXUAL ASSAULT
Rates of sexual violence:
About one in five women and one in 71 men are raped at
some point in their lives.
About one in five women and one in 16 men a
People Derive Pleasure from
Diverse Sexual Behaviors
Masturbation, oral sex, and coitus are very
Evolution of Sexual Behavior in Mammals
reproductive = coitus w
ATTRACTION, AROUSAL AND RESPONSE
Exam 1 is this Friday, April 15th
40 multiple choice questions
Most questions based on material covered in lecture and
highlighted in SNGs.
Practice questions now available on T
1. Panopto recordings of class lecture now available on
2. Student Note Guide (SNG) for Female Anatomy
available in announcements section in Canvas.
3. Code to find Top Hat course: 661253
4. Tomorrow (Fridays
Two major classes:
of interest in sex
to achieve orgasm
with erection, lubrication, orgasm
Much easier to t
Birth Control/Contraception History
Birth control has been around for a long time
-various methods have existed for hundreds of years
-diaphragms - lemons
-condoms made anima
Sex as a Commodity
Final Exam next Friday, June 3rd, during
regular class time.
Review session is during class Thursday,
Make sure you check in with the TAs if you are
planning to make up exam on June 10th. (Only
343. Some researchers prefer the term settling point to set point because the typical body
weight of an adult is influenced by
A) basal metabolic rate.
B) several appetite hormones.
C) the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus.
D) environmental and biologic
281. Our _ is said to be an indication of how socially accepted we feel.
282. Achievement motivation refers to
A) a goal-oriented leadership style that builds teamwork.
B) a desire for significant acco
164. Which procedure is used to identify the different dimensions of performance that
underlie people's intelligence scores?
A) g factor
B) multiple intelligences
C) practical intelligence
D) factor analysis
165. Howard Gardner proposes that humans have m
285. The correlation is likely to be lowest between the
A) Stanford-Binet IQ scores and grades of elementary-school children.
B) Wechsler intelligence scores and grades of high school students.
C) SAT scores and grades of first-year college students.
122. Masters and Johnson identified orgasm as the _ phase of the sexual response
123. The descriptions of orgasm written by men and women are _, and the
subcortical brain regions active in men and women during
201. With respect to sex research and human values, the text suggests that
A) sexual activity is largely a medical and biological issue, not a moral issue.
B) scientific methods prevent sex researchers from being influenced by their own
22. Positive and negative environmental stimuli that motivate behavior are called
23. Which of the following is clearly NOT an example of an incentive?
B) threat of punishment
C) smell of popcorn
245. The French government commissioned Alfred Binet to develop an intelligence test that
A) demonstrate the innate intellectual superiority of western European races.
B) effectively distinguish between reading and language disabilities.
Name: _ Date: _
1. Motivation is defined by psychologists as
A) an impulse to accomplish something of significance.
B) rigidly patterned behavior characteristic of all people.
C) a need or desire that energizes and directs behavior toward a goal.
D) the c
Sexual Variety Is the Spice of
people, at some point in their lives,
experience some sort of sexual fantasy
or try out some type of kinky sexual
Most sex researchers believe that only a
small area within the realm of at
The Diversity of Human Sexuality
Dr. Nicole K. McNichols
Instructor: Dr. Nicole K. McNichols
Office hours: Friday, 2-3pm, Chem Lib 112
- This week only, office hours will be Thursday from 4-5pm,
beliefs about conception
ownership of offspring paternity rights
childbirth confinement birthing rituals
couvade male birthing rituals
postpartum taboos for female
breast feeding duration, purpose
Exam 3 Review
Psychology 210: Human
1. What are the 5
developmental dimensions of
2. Which of the following is NOT
a typical sexual experience of
a. Sexual needs are
LOIS J. McDERMOTT, Ph.D.
UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
Copyright 2011 Lois J. McDermott. All rights reserved.
Releasing Factor (hypothalamus)
GnRH gonadotropin RH
Gonadotropins (anterior pitu
Chapter 11: Sexuality across
the Life Span: Adulthood
In Young Adulthood, Conflicting
Demands Influence Sexual
Cohabitation is an increasingly prevalent lifestyle for
Cohabitation has diverse meanings to those involved.
1. TopHat participation points begin today
2. Tuesday, April 12th TransGender Panel.
Please begin formulating questions.
There will be TopHat questions at this
3. Test bank for practice questions for Exam