Day 8 Photosynthesis
Homework. 10 pts.
1. a) Explain how the material of a potato is different from the material of a tree trunk.
b) Explain why we can eat the potato but not the pine tree. (4 pts)
2. What do you think an equivalent substance to starch wo
Day 13 HOMEWORK Cleaning Coal Tech Density
1. For the following materials find a liquid in which the material would float and a liquid in which the
material would sink.
i. Materials: sapphire (d = 4 g/mL), glass (d = 2.6 g/mL), bituminous coal (d = 1.34 g
10 WV Watersheds Student Handout R
Day 11 - Watersheds and West Virginia:
The Mountain State?
Exploration I: Use the two relief maps of WV to answer the following questions.
Dont look for highway 68 b/c the maps are too old to have it marked.
Day 13 Coal Preparation/Cleaning Techniques
The student will be able to
Explain the post extraction processing of coal
Use the concept of buoyancy to separate mixtures
Use density values to predict buoyancies.
Use molecular models to interpret differe
Day 15: Acid/Base and Acid Mine Drainage
Exporation Usually pH is used to report the acidity of a solution. In the following activity, you will test
different solutions in terms of their taste and pH. Use the table to record your findings.
a. For each sam
Day 20 - Nature of the Atmosphere
Exploration 1: Observe the diagrams of the atmosphere in the handed-outs.
1. In what layer is weather (most clouds, rain, etc.)
2. In what layer are the greenhouse gases located that trap IR light?
Day 12 Coal Mining and Mine Safety
Explain what deeping mining, surface mining and MTR and VF are.
Determine what conditions favor certain mining methods
Contrast reclamation requirements for each mining method
Discuss the pros and cons of each type of m
Day 21 The Role of Coal and Limestone in the Carbon Cycle
1. Write the chemical equation (in both words and symbols) that represent the combustion of propane, C 3H8
C3H8 + 5O2 3CO2 + 5H2O
Propane + Oxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water
2. Write th