1. The accounts of Bernal Diaz revealed the high points and culture of
Mesoamerican society prior to the arrival of Europeans.
2. The markets and temples of Tenochtitlan were the high points noticed by Bernal
3. American interaction
1. The mission of Niccolo and Maffeo Polo during the 13th century was
significant because it gave rise to Marco Polos celebrated account of his
travels and it signaled the reintegration of Europe into the political and
1. How did Muhammads background influence his beliefs
and the early development of Islam?
Muhammad was a merchant and because of this, he had a
basic understanding of Judaism and Christianity.
2. What were the fundamental tenets of Islam?
1. What is the significance of the story of the monks smuggling
the silkworm eggs to Byzantium?
The monks story raises questions about the origins of
sericulture in the Byzantine empire.
2. What elements did Byzantium inherit from the Roman
Empire that he
Mahmud of Ghazni
Leader of the Turkkish Ghaznavids of
Afghanistan in raids on lucrative sites in
The unifier of the Mongols
A Venetian tr
1. Ibn Battutas travels were significant because he documented his travels writing
about what he experienced.
2. The causes of increased cross-cultural interaction during the postclassical period
were safe roads and improvements in maritim
1. What was the function of the griot in sub-Saharan African culture?
Griots told professionally told stories and sang songs of histories, epics, stories, and other
2. Why were bananas and camels so significant in early African history? What do
The Expansive Realm of Islam
Monotheistic religion announced by the
A follower of Islam
Religious pilgrimage to Mecca
Muhammads migration from Mecca to
The Resurgence of Empire in
Seventh century Chinese monk who
made a famous trip to India to collect
Emperor of China and first ruler of the