EXAM II OBJECTIVES SPRING 2016
1.) Subjective evaluation opinions & judgments, taste, smell, & appearance important in
acceptability, past experience with same or similar food
Objective evaluation measurement of physical properties of food by use of mecha
1) NUT 400 EXAM I OBJECTIVES
Distinguish between the focus of food science versus nutrition
a) Food science is the quality and safety aspects of foods before we eat them whereas nutrition is
how the body uses foods after we eat
NUT 400 - EXAM III OBJECTIVES
1. Compare/contrast complete, incomplete, and complementary sources of protein
a. Complete protein has all of the essential amino acids (PVT TIM HLL GAAAS)
b. Animal sources are complete
c. Soy is complete, and so in quinoa,
Found in fruits, vegetables, herbs, leaves, spices
Naturally occurring chemical components in
Defense system for plant
Provide color, aroma, &/or flavor
Powerpoint Lecture Study Questions:
1. Know the parts of the plants where common fruits/veggies come from
-root- beet, carrot, parsnip, radish, daikon
-stem tubers- potato, artichoke, turnip
-root tubers- yam, sweet potato, cassava
-rhizomes- turmeric, gi
FLAVOR, COLOR, PRESERVATION PPT QUESTIONS:
1. What is purpose of the FDA Defect Levels Handbook?
-levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards to humans
2. What is adulteration?
-adding cheap ingredients to improve appe
Supplement/Fortification/Additives Study Questions:
1. Whats difference between enrichment and fortification?
-enrichment- adding nutrients to foods which may be lost during processing
-fortification- addition of nutrients at levels higher than those foun
Starch Study Questions (Refer to McWilliams Chapter 9 and the PowerPoint slides)
1. The food industry, and home kitchens the world over use starches as thickening agents.
2. What are the two fractions of starch?
-amylose and amylopectin
3. List the unique
BAKING STUDY QUESTIONS:
1. When milling flour, what parts of the grain are removed?
-bran and germ
2. What is bran composed of?
-high fiber, cellulose
3. What is endosperm composed of (hint: two macronutrients)?
-starch (carbs) and protein (gluten)
Carbohydrates: Monosaccharides, Disaccharides & Sweetners (Chapter 8 McWilliams)
1. Why would a can of regular (not diet) soda taste sweeter when it is cold compared to when its
at room temperature?
-fructose in soda is sweeter at colder temperatures
Study Questions for Proteins.
PROTEIN POWERPOINT STUDY QUESTIONS:
1. Know how to identify an amino acid versus a carbohydrate
-amino acids have nitrogen- amino group
-carbs dont have nitrogen or amino groups
2. Know how to describe primary, secondary, ter
Study Questions: FATS
1. What is the chemical name for a lipid?
2. Which part of a triglyceride contains a 3-carbon molecule?
3. Describe the difference between saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated lipids