CEE 291 Homework 2
Vlookup, Charts, Curve Fitting, Solving Equation
Due Date: September 23, 2016
Problem 1: VLOOKUP (20%)
Table 1 contains the density of air at different atmospheric pressures and temperatures.
Table 1 - Density of Air (kg/m
%create vector A
A = [8 5 13 17 10 45];
B=; % initializes B
0or loop finds sum of A and adds intermediate sums to respective index of
%Create vector C by concatenating vectors A
clear; %"if" & "elseif" statemens will break down the Y function into range
x=-10:.1:5; % a vector that is defining the X values range
y=; % initialize a vector for Y values
for i=1:length(x); %"for loop" will assign X
CEE 500 Homework 5
1. What is the pH of a solution of 0.0100 M NH4Cl? Solve using a system of equations.
CEE 500 Homework 5
2. Draw a pC-pH diagram of a solution of [CN]T = 1 103 M? If you add 1 103 moles of
HCN to one liter of water, what is the
J, . 1 .m , ,
AC nc CS. n (Ow Q16 J. .C hcyc $.an 09an avh).
9.352. .03) 6,;an 1.2me Jamqx. morgx (saw
.1 Mrpmew*U u Kthuno." N: u G. Owwg mSJ away (1556 8>m+9>+
I . .|._ I. . Ina
msvoowm. .6wa . 6.; Tile 1
. . (3.
r 5.98 m, :+ h. 18%.
CEE 500 Homework #3
1. Consider the reaction
CaCO3() + 2H()
CO2() + H2 O() + Ca2+
where CaCO3 is calcite. Answer the following:
(a) What is Go for this reaction at 25oC?
(b) What is K at 25oC (assume a closed system with 1000 L air)?
(c) What is K a
CEE 500 Homework #8
1. Water containing 1 x 10-5M dissolved cadmium and 0.01 M Cl-1 is treated with 1 mM
NaHS to precipitate CdS(s). At pH 7, what is the equilibrium dissolved Cd after treatment?
Assume that CdS(s) precipitates and that NaHS dissociates c
CEE 500 Homework #2
1. The concentration of the alkane C20H42 (MW 282.55 g/mol) in a particular sample
of rainwater is 0.2 ppb. Assume that the density of rainwater is close to 1.00 g/mL
and find the molar concentration of C20H42.
CEE 500 Homework #1
1. Conversion between mass/volume and mass/mass units: You have 12 ppb
standards of the pesticide alachlor in water and in hexane ( = 0.66 g/mL). What is
the concentration of each standard in g/L?
CEE 500 Homework #7
1. To mitigate CO2 emissions to the atmosphere, some have suggested injecting CO2
into deep groundwater. A groundwater initially at pH 8.3 with an alkalinity of 1
10-2 M will have CO2 injected until the groundwater comes to equilibriu
CEE 500 Homework #10
1. Given the following reactions, draw a p-pH diagram for aluminum. Assume a
concentration of 10-6 M for AlT. For the water reduction line, assume an H2 pressure of 1
atm, and for the water oxidation line, assume an O2 pressure of 1 a
K = 50 vpm
KT = .25(50) = 12.5 vpm
KC = .75(50) = 37.5 vpm
VT = 40mph
VC = 60mph
VT,Grade = 25mph
VC,Grade = 55mph
the flow of vehicles on the level section;
QTOT = QT + QC = KT VT
Problem 1 (10 pts.)
= + + +
Acceleration is 0 due to constant speed and Rg is 0 due to level grade. We need to find F
and Rrl to solve for Ra and then we can find CD.
Step 1: Determine vehicle speed
Homework 7 Solutions
1. Vehicles arrive at a single toll booth beginning at 8:00AM. They arrive and depart according
to a uniform distribution. However, the toll booth does not open until 8:10AM. The average
Laboratories #. (9/24/2015)
Group Members: _
You will be solving two problems related to vehicle kinematics in this lab.
1. A truck that went out of control on an asphalt surface finally came to a halt on the gravel shou
Lab 5 Curvature Solutions
February 16th & 17th, 2017
A +2% grade meets a +6% grade at station 10+30 and elevation 168.71 ft. For a design speed of
55 mph, find the minimum length of vertical curve that satisfies the AASHTO stopping sightdistance
Homework 4 Solutions
Problem 1 (10 pts.)
Understand that this is a crest curve and that were given station and elevation
information for the PVI.
Step 1: Determine curve length using SSD for 55mph (SSD = 495 ft)
A S 2 (3
Homework # 1 - SOLUTIONS
T.A. Hannah Silber
DUE: Wednesday, February 1st, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
1) Describe what is meant by the term visual acuity, including a description of how
visual acuity is deter