S P E C I A L F E AT U R E
The Worlds Most Powerful
Recommended by Pharmacists
If you cant trust a pharmacist, who can you trust?
Patented Now Available Without a Prescription
Without a Prescription
Want to make your pills sound powerfu
Sugary Sodas Pile on the Pounds
Transcript: ANNOUNCER: A recent study says that sugary sodas and obesity may go hand in hand. MARION NESTLE, FOOD EXPERT: If I were going to tell somebody how to lose weight, thats the first place Id start. ANNOUNCER: Accor
June, 2008. Many consumers are wondering about the safety of plastic containers and other products after reports that a chemical used to make baby bottles, water bottles and food containers is facing increasing scrutiny by health off
like Eckerd, Kmart, Kroger, Rite Aid, Safeway, Sav-on, Walgreens, and WalMart. Or you can walk into just about any pharmacy and pick up a bottle of Theragran-M (or one of its clones). So why do you need our chart (see p. 5)? Because multis hav
9 2 11 30 7 24 26 29 12 1 4 17 Above is our initial array. We are going to choose the first element as our pivot. Then, the left reference will be drawn in red and the right reference will be drawn in blue. 17 2 11 30 7 24 26 29 12 1 4 9 We see right away
Grapefruit & breast cancer, p. 9
Spices.or medicine? p.10
How to pick the best pasta sauce, p. 13
OCTOBER 2007 VOLUME 34 / NUMBER 8 CENTER FOR SCIENCE IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST
Is sh oil good for what ails you?
BY BONNIE LIEBMAN
P hotos: fotolia.com/ z
NOTICE: This material may be protected by Copyright Law (title 17, U.S. Code)
Should you be eating more protein-or less?
Americans have had a love/hate relationship with protein, and the protein pendulum has been swinging like crazy lately.
medicine physician who operIt all started with Hans Hertel. ates what he says is the #1 The Swiss food chemist and Natural Health Site on the seven fellow vegetarians conInternet (www.mercola.com). fined themselves to a hotel for Foods cooked in microwave
1. What is food processing?
2. Give some examples of processed foods:
3. Why process foods?
4. Refrigeration defined, basic principle and rules
6. Freezing Graph
7. Changes During Freezing
8. Rate of Freezing
9. Cryogenic Freezing
1. Food dehydration (defined) removal of water from foods under controlled conditions. Drying stops microbial growth and chemicla and enzymatic reactions. 2. Heat and mass transfer considerations Surface area: rapid drying will be enhanced by a large surf
1. List some types of thermal processes blanching pasteurization canning aseptic processing 2. Options for milk pasteurization: 145 degrees for 30 minutes (batch) 161 for 15 seconds (HTST) 180 for 3 seconds (UHT) 3. Pasteurization pasteurization is a rela
L ectur e 1: Chemistr y of F ood Pr oteins
1. Amino acids as building blocks of proteins Are organic polymers composed of amino acids as the basic units. Amino acids: a carboxylic acid group (-COOF) and an amino group (-NH2) 2. Essential amino acids
Financial Impact of Buying and Selling Process
Alex to edit Click FridgenMaster subtitle style
Purchase Requisitio n
Purchas e Order Notify Vendor
Paymen t to Vendor
Invoic e Receip t
B Y A . ELIZABETH SLOAN
S TAT E- OF -T HE- INDUS T RY R E P OR T
More take-out foods, a penchant for premium, and a very healthy attitude are redefining what Americans eat.
hile three-quarters of all adults ate last nights meal at home, the number of me