Dr. N. Campbell-Kyureghyan
Problem 1 (5pts)
Which of the following activities might provoke symptoms in a worker recovering from a
neck injury caused by an accident while driving?
a) List in order most likely to least likely.
b) State your re
'n 1.485 1.455
10 10 s / m 0.1ns / m 100ns / km
3 u 10
'W Dmod al L 100 L(ns ) where L is in km.
b) Rb 1 /(4'W) Rb L 1 /(4 Dmod al ) 1 / 400 0.0025(km Gb / s) 2.5(km Mb / s )
c) This is a single mode fiber.
Dint ra S
due 4/26/12 5PM
no later than 4/30/12 5PM
1. A shot-noise-limited 500 Mbps PCM system operates with a BER Better than 5 1011 . The
wavelength is 1. 3 m and the photodetectors quantum efficiency is 0.9. The dark current is negligible.
a) How much op
due 4/19/11 5PM
no later than 4/23/11 5PM
1. Repeat question 4 of HW 8 if the photodetector is an APD having a gain of 80 and an unamplified dark current of 2nA.
2. The optical power reaching the receiver is 1 W (DC value without modulation). The de
due 4/10/12 5PM
no later than 4/12/12 5PM
Notice a one page progress report will be due on 4/10/12.
1. Consider a semiconductor laser which has a FP resonator of length 500 m. The peak radiation is at
1330nm and refractive index of the semiconductor
due 4/3/12 5PM
no later than 4/5/12 5PM
1. Consider a Fabry-Perot etalon with R1 = R2 = R = 0. 7. This etalon will be used for a filter operating
around the wavelength of 1. 55 m . If the etalon has thickness of 2mm and refraction index of 1.6, find
due 3/8/12 5PM
no late homework
1. Consider a fiber communication system which operates at 1. 6 m and uses a 20km-long fiber
with effective area of 50 m 2 , attenuation of 0.3 dB/km and Raman gain coefficient of 1013 m/W .
The overall losses without