HOMEWORK #2, DUE SATURDAY 10/4
Name _SHELBY HAYS_
1. This first question is based on a game. Please go to http:/www.playspent.org/. Your
task is to play the game three times while taking notes to answer the following questions.
a. Did you usuall
SOC 3550 PREP #7, DUE SUNDAY 10/26
Read Chapter 6 in Cockerham, Health Behaviors and Health Lifestyles.
1. How do we define health behaviors, and what are health lifestyles?
We define health behaviors according to medical sociologists in two gen
SOC 3550 PREP #6, DUE SUNDAY 10/11
Read Chapter 15 from the 1998 book by Sapolsky titled Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers. I
also included the introductory Chapter 1 from the book as optional reading so you can get a
better picture of what the book is
SOC 3550 PREP #5, DUE SUNDAY 10/04
Read Chapter 5 in Cockerham, Social Stress and Health.
1. Cockerham begins the chapter by discussing the symbolic interactionist and
functionalist perspectives. Super-briefly summarize each perspective. Then
SOC 3550 PREP #4, DUE SUNDAY 09/28 AT 10:00 pm
Read Chapter 4 in Cockerham, The Social Demography of Health: Gender, Age, and
1. Summarize gender differences in longevity. Dont worry too much about changes
over time or differences across c
HOMEWORK #6, DUE SATURDAY 12/13 AT 10:00 PM
What is the ACA? Which successful reform is it modeled on? What the two-headed
beast, or two major problems of US health care, is it meant to address? Explain the threepart structure that forms the
HOMEWORK #5, DUE TUESDAY 11/25 AT 10:00 PM
1. Please watch the second and third (out of five) segments of a PBS Frontline
documentary on ADHD (Noelles Story and The Promoters of ADHD). You can find
the video at http:/www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front
HOMEWORK #4, DUE SATURDAY 11/8 AT 10:00 PM
1. A recent CDC publication that summarizes the health behaviors of US adults is
available at http:/www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_257.pdf). The
publication discusses 5 health behaviors. Read t
HOMEWORK #3, DUE SATURDAY 10/25 AT 10:00 PM
Are all potentially stressful situations equally stressful to all people, resulting in the
same levels of stress and poor health for everyone? Why or why not? How do the theories
of symbolic interac
SOC 3550 PREP #8, DUE SUNDAY 11/02 at 10 pm
Read Chapter 7 in Cockerham, Illness Behavior. We have no extra readings for this
1. What is illness behavior and how does it differ from health behaviors?
As stated by the book, illness behav