Ferdinand de Saussure: Father
of 20 Century Linguistics
Saussure made significant advancements both in
linguistics and semiology.
Linguistics can be understood as the scientific study of
Language can best be
Divisions of the
General Psychology Lesson 11 Outline
A. Research on hemisphere functioning
1. Brain dominance and handedness are sexlinked
2. What parts of brain-body dominance can be changed
3. Dominance helps p
General Psychology Lesson 15 Outline
A. Physical aspects of hearing
1. The three dimensions of sound waves
2. How the ear transduces sound waves
B. Demonstrate and explain locating sound
C. Psychological aspects of hearing
General Psychology Lesson 14 Outline
A. Touch sensation
1. Physical stimuli and receptors
2. Varying touch sensitivity demonstrated
3. Psychological attitudes about touch
B. The internal body sensations
Theories Guide Most
General Psychology Lesson 4 Outline
A. The nature of theories and how they originate
1. Focus on the causes of what they describe
2. Theories can originate in several ways
B. Theories need to be tested t
Controlled experiments are the best way to test a
theory since they manipulate variables
Sampling methods help control variables
5. Within-subjects comparisons
A good experimental design
function as mini brains in our body.
Neurons fire electrical impulses when sodium
Chains of neurons have tiny gaps
between cells called synapses that
must be bridged by neurotransmitters.
Multiple axon terminals often will
cluster around a shared synapse.
Observing and measuring
people to test theories
General Psychology Lesson 5 Outline
A. Researching human behavior to test theories creates
unique opportunities and problems, as symbolized by
Norman the Box.
B. Field observations are often a first
GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY UNIT ONE ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS
1) The deadline for receiving full credit for this first essay will be Sunday
February 20 at midnight.
2) Because this first assignment and the three others to follow will require
thoughtful essays often runn
A BRIEF HISTORY OF
General Psychology Lesson 3 Outline
A. The three roots of the psychology family tree
2. Medical science and practice
3. The natural sciences
B. The trunk of the tree was Wundts first formally
Introduction to the
Human Nervous System
General Psychology Lesson 7 Outline
A. Basic concepts used in studying the nervous system
1. The nervous and glandular systems can be thought
of as an internal computer network
2. All sense receptors have
Claim Relationships and Categorical Operations
Now that you've had a chance to translate claims to standard form, we can look at the
relationship between various claims. This will provide the additional data that you need in order
to do a more comprehensi
Translating Claims EX 1
Bats are animals.
Answer: A. All bats are animals.
A bat is not a bird.
Answer: E. All Birds are not bats.
The dodo is extinct.
Answer: A. All dodos are extinct.
One word or phrase has more than The ambiguity results from the
one possible meaning/interpretation,
location of phrases or words in the
which affects the entire sentence.
He flung the bat into the air.
She watched hi
Critical Thinking: Chapter 3
Clear Thinking, Critical Thinking
and Clear Writing
Organization and Focus
You cant write well if you are not
Your essay should support your position
or answer anticipated objections.
Organization and Focus
General Psychology Lesson 12 Outline
The nature of temperature and pain senses
1. Their reception is multi-faceted
2. Categorizing temperature and pain
3. Behavioral effects of temperatures
4. Chemical and mental type