Chapter 1: Chemistry: The Study of Change
1. A tentative explanation for a set of observations that can be tested by further
experimentation is referred to as
A) a hypothesis. B) a law. C) a theory. D) none of the above.
Ans: A Category: Easy Section: 1.3
Matter and Measurement
In this science we
study matter and the
We define matter as anything that has mass
and takes up space.
Chapter 8: Periodic Relationships Among the Elements
1. The law of octaves was proposed by
A) G. N. Lewis.
B) John Newlands.
C) Dmitri Mendeleev.
Ans: B Category: Easy Section: 8.1
J. J. Thompson.
2. The law of octaves states that
Chapter 4: Reactions in Aqueous Solution
1. Which of the following compounds is a strong electrolyte?
A) H2 O B) CH3 OH C) CH3 CH2 OH D) HF E) NaF
Ans: E Category: Easy Section: 4.1
2. Which of the following compounds is a weak electrolyte?
A) HNO3 B) NaN
Chapter 10: Chemical Bonding II: Molecular Geometry and
Hybridization of Atomic Orbitals
1. Give the number of lone pairs around the central atom and the molecular geometry of
A) 0 lone pairs, square planar
D) 1 lone pair, trigonal bipyramidal
Chapter 9: Chemical Bonding I: Basic Concepts
1. Which one of the following is most likely to be an ionic compound?
A) CaCl2 B) CO2 C) CS2 D) SO2 E) OF2
Ans: A Category: Easy Section: 9.2
2. Which one of the following is most likely to be an ionic compoun
Chapter 7: Quantum Theory and the Electronic Structure of
1. In the following diagram of a wave
(a) is amplitude and (b) is wavelength D)
(a) is frequency and (b) is amplitude E)
(a) is wavelength and (b) is frequency
E Category: Easy
Chapter 3: Mass Relationships in Chemical Reactions
A periodic table will be required to answer some of these questions.
1. An atom of helium has a mass about four times greater than that of an atom of hydrogen.
Which choice makes the correct comparison o
Chapter 5: Gases
1. What is the pressure of the sample of gas trapped in the open-tube mercury manometer
shown below if atmospheric pressure is 736 mmHg and h = 9.2 cm?
A) 92 mmHg B) 644 mmHg C) 736 mmHg
Ans: B Category: Medium Section: 5.2
Chapter 6: Thermochemistry
1. Radiant energy is
A) the energy stored within the structural units of chemical substances.
B) the energy associated with the random motion of atoms and molecules.
C) solar energy, i.e. energy that comes from the sun.
Chapter 2: Atoms, Molecules, and Ions
A periodic table is required to work many of the problems in this chapter.
1. In a cathode ray tube
A) electrons pass from the anode to the cathode.
B) electrons pass from the cathode to the anode.
C) protons pass fro
MIS201 REVIEW SESSION # 09
WEEK 10 | MONDAY, 7TH NOV, 2016 | CHAPTER 09
Web 1.0: The World Wide Web, which you learned about in Chapter 6, first
appeared in 1990. Web 1.0 was the first generation of the Web.
The key developments of Web 1.0 were th