November 3rd, 2011
For Monica Popa
Part I: Breaking a Social Norm
I have lived in Saskatoon now for nearly two and a half years in a house that is located in the
Greystone Heights area. This location is ex
-an attitude is a lasting, general evaluation of people, objects or issues
-anything toward which a person has an attitude, whether it is tangible, or intangible is called an
The Functions of Attitudes
-utilitarian function the u
Attitude Change and Interactive Communications
New message formats new ways to transmit both text and picture
-Offers exciting alternatives to traditional advertising such as TV, billboards, magazines,
-M-commerce- (mobile commerce) promote
CH 6: PERSONALITY AND LIFESTYLES
Superego counterweight to the id the persons conscience
Ego the system that mediates between the id and the superego
Motivational research the first attempts to apply Freudian ideas to understanding the
- Self-Concept- The beliefs a person holds about his or her attributes and how he or she evaluates
these qualities. Self-concept is a very complex structure.
- Self-esteem- the positivity of your attitude toward yourself.
Hedonic consumption pink panther cartoon character, Harley-Davidsons trademark
hog sound of the revving motor.
Otherwise known as the multisensory, fantasy and emotional aspects of
consumers interactions with products
-classical conditioning - occurs when a stimulus that elicits a response is paired with another
stimulus that initially does not elicit a response on its own. Over time this second stimulus causes
a similar response becaus
Motivation and Values
Motivational Strength- energy expended to reach a goal depends on underlying motivation to
achieve that goal.
Drive Theory- biological needs that present unpleasant states of arousal (ex stomach
grumbling during a morning c
Chapter 9- Individual Decision Making
Perspectives on Decision Making
- Rational Perspective- People can calmly and carefully integrate as much information as possible
with what they already know about a product, painstakingly weigh the pluses and minuses
Chapter 10- Buying And Disposing
- Buying- Consumer acquisition of a good, service or experience.
- Disposing- Divesting of objects once they have fulfilled their designated functions of they no
longer reflect consumer views of themselves.
Physical and So
Chapter 16- Cultural Influence on Consumer Behaviour
- Culture- The values, ethnics, rituals, traditions, material objects, or services produced or
esteemed by the members of a society.
- A consumers culture determines the overall priorities he or she att
Ethnic Subcultures and Consumer Identity
-Ethnic identity is often a significant component of a consumers self-concept. An ethnic
subculture is a self-perpetuating group of consumers who share common cultural or genetic ties,
which are recogniz
Chapter 14- Age Subcultures
- Subculture- Members of a group within society who share experiences that set them apart from
- Age Subcultures- Subculture based on age cohorts that is, people of similar age who have
undergone similar experienc
-A reference group is an actual or imaginary individual or group conceived of as having
significant relevance upon an individuals evaluations, aspirations, or behaviour
-The term reference group is used to describe any external influence that p
Chapter 12- Household Decision Making
Households and Families
- Household Living Arrangements- Refers to whether or not the person lives with another person
or persons and, if so, whether or not he or she is related to that person or persons.
- Census Fam
Chapter 13: Income and Social Class
- The large, upward income shifts are linked to two key factors:
1. Shift in womens roles: larger portion of people of working age participating in the
workforce. Women with preschool children are the fastest growing se
Below are the Consumer Behaviour concepts used while preparing our report. Definitions
are taken from the Com 354 textbook and are applied using our journal articles themes.
Virtual Worlds (pg.13): Online platforms require the consumer to strike a balance
Degree is a brand of deodorant owned by Unilever that is sold to both men and women
in different forms such as deodorant sticks, sprays and gels. Degree in North America was
started by Helene Curtis and was eventually purchased by Unilever in 1996. It
What Is Consumer Behaviour
What Is Consumer Behaviour?
- The study of the processes involved when individuals or groups select, purchase, use or dispose
products, services, ideas, or experiences to satisfy needs and desires.
Consumer Behaviour Is A Proces