CHAPTER 8 - Power and Politics
- Power: ability to get someone to do what you want done
- some people have power because:
- they have done great things
- may have been elected (given power)
- do people who have power who keep the same amount of power?
CHAPTER 7 COMMUNICATION
- What is communication?
- How am I communicating?
- What can I do to improve?
- people mostly respond what we see [facial expressions] and [tone]
- communicating on the phone, e-mail, social media networks [facebook]
- most messag
CHAPTER 6: GROUPS AND TEAMWORK
Teams vs. Groups: Whats the difference?
GROUP: two or more people with a common relationship
- e.g. co-workers, ppl meeting for lunch, standing at bus stop
TEAM: a small number of people with complementary skills who
CHAPTER 5: MOTIVATION IN ACTION
Consider the four major strategic rewards decisions that need to be made to recognize individual
What to pay employees (decided by establishing a pay structure)
How to pay individual employees (decided thro
CHAPTER 4 THEORIES OF MOTIVATION
What motivates you?
- to come to class?
- to study?
- why do you get up in the morning?
- in general?
MOTIVATION: the intensity, direction, and persistence of effort a person shows in
reaching a goal
- intensity : how hard
ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR NOTES: (NTS: Read Chapter Summaries at end of chapters)
1) Organizational Behavior: Is a field of study that looks at the impact that individuals, groups
and structure have on behavior within organizations.
- when one party believes that another party has adversely affected or is going to
adversely affect something that the first cares about.
- implied conflict/ open conflict
- functional conflict: that help the group improve its performances