110912 Rebellions 1837-1838 in Lower Canada
Changes in the State!
Political Tensions and Growing Opposition!
Radicalism and its Responses!
Consequences and Aftermath!
6. Why do people
110914 Rebellions 1837/1838 in Upper Canada
How did the events in Upper Canada share similarities with Lower Canada?
Unlike in Lower Canada, ethnic divisions don't play as sharp of a role
but like Lower Canada it's hard
1. how does it tie politically to American Revolution?
2. compared to the Belgian Revolution!
not entirely ethnic but about money, ideas, liberal reforms, etc.!
united kingdoms of the Netherlands.
1. evaluation of his impression of Lower Canada
followed by pageantry
how did he get an impression of what they were like?
were they always putting forward their best?
concerned about being in his own bubble
110919 Lord Durham and Political Change
1. 1840-1850s. important period of political and economic changes.
2. huge repercussions for Lower Canada!
Rebellions fail in republican goals.
but they did succeed in forcing some poli
110928 Life and Times of Joseph Howe
1. Howe as a Nova Scotian opponent to Confederation.
2. last time we looked at the big picture now let' s look at smaller pictures.
3. why did responsible government matter; and how was it adopt
111003 Reform and Responsible Government
Desire for political reform doesn't exactly "disappear"
British constitutional system.
let's revisit our friend Joseph Howe
and then look at the Canadas and what happened there.
111005 Furs and Settlement in the Near West
1. What comes to mind when the West comes up?
We're moving beyond the Canadas today!
regions of BNA that were more focused on trade, economy, and s
110926 Changes in Atlantic Canada
1. Let's move into Eastern British North America!
2. for our purposes. we'll incorporate Newfoundland into the equation.
looking at New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland
110921 After Durham: Life in the Union
Julia Roberts' reading worth checking out.
1. what was life like? how did all these guys live anyway? Rebels, Papineau, etc.
2. what were they leaving to fight?
3. move beyond the politics int