111004 Diocletian cont'd
tax systems reformed completely to provide means for the army
seeks a regular age that's reliable
payment in goods and services and able to exploit agriculture and stops
debasement of c
2. argument about the text.
3. talking to a Roman audience, an elite
4. switches from appreciation to negativity all in the same turn
way of marriage positively, then bashes their hut
1. Roman Empire at its extent
2. focus on Western Europe.
huge part of medieval history is the history of the Byzantine East
this was the Roman Empire
the West becomes a sort of federation of Barbarian states/nat
110908 Europe in the Early Middle Ages
1. 300 - 900 AD, medieval history. scope of this class
2. later side of the Early Middle Ages
read book by Kelly. Roman Empire introduction
tough to get into things without know
1. for next week Christian martyrdom.
please read Perpetua and Felicity on HIST363 website
also secondary source, article by Shaw
2. Barbarians, peasantry at the doorstep
3. Barbarians weren't only warriors on
110915 Roman Empire
1. common knowledge about Roman Empire that isn't as accurate as we think?
cautions us to examine what we know of Rome
non-point? isn't everything biased?
instead of saying "he's biased", explain what
1. was Constantine actually converted?
Constantine is the one that calls the Council of Nicaea!
presides over it.
Constantine doesn't completely convert until his deathbed.
sets a precedent for bishops meeting togeth
1. Crisis of the Third Century
2. Let's start with the reign of Aurelian.
repulsed invaders along his frontiers, recovers Egypt and Asia Minor
encircles Rome with a massive wall.
110929 Martyrs: continued
1. that which we have heard and touched with our hands we also claim to you so that those
of you that were witnesses may recall the glory of the Lord
suggests that this editor is speaking to some who had
110927 Martyrs: the Perpetua
1. connecting the Germania and the Perpetua?
2. issues of reception?
but let's talk about it face value.
3. read every anniversary in church?
constraints on its modification
was it "re-tooled" every