Organizational environments &
Questions to guide our discussion:
1. What is the purpose of organizational
2. How do you read an organizations culture?
3. How do you create and maintain culture?
4. Can culture have a downside?
Practice Quiz 1 (out of 20)
1. In The Smile Factory, Van Maanen described Disneylands culture as of the late 80s. Identify
one general environment factor that would have likely affected Disneylands culture since then
and justify your choice. (2 marks)
Practice Quiz 2 (Out of 20)
1. 360 DEGREE FEEDBACK is a performance appraisal process in which feedback is
obtained from the boss, subordinates, peers, and co-workers as well as the
2. List one circumstance under which using teams is
Review of Last Class
Planning is important for many managers and that
includes getting employees committed to goals and
making S.M.A.R.T. goals
There is an established rational approach to decision
making but it doesnt always work for example