1. This question does not require the model. Use one of the
radiation laws to calculate the integral emittance (Iout), or the
total radiation emitted at all wavelengths, of Earth at 15C.
Assume that Earth represents a black body without an
1. How do clouds affect the earths energy budget?
2. Why are water vapour and clouds so important to understanding the
earths response to an increase in greenhouse gas concentrations?
3. What are the key major physical climate
1. How does carbon move through different components of the climate
2. What the important sources, sinks and pools of carbon?
3. Where is anthropogenic carbon dioxide accumulating?
Carbon: The stuff of life
Carbon is th
1. How does the atmosphere re-distribute surplus energy?
2. Using the basic forces to derive the general three-dimensional
circulation of the atmosphere
3. How and why does atmospheric motion vary from the predications
from a v
1. Why are the oceans crucial drivers of the climate system?
2. What key mechanisms drive general ocean circulation and surface
3. How does ocean circulation respond to climate forcing?
Why the oceans matter (1)