The Yellow Earth (1984):
1. Show the landscape, the yellow earth is the major character
in the film. The film is projected in the northern part of
2. The film talks about the issue in 1984.
1. Born in Beijing and his father is a
Burden of the Past?
The Stones Cry Out 
- How do the Japanese rethink the war experience in contemporary works?
They dont want to face the failure.
- How do we comprehend the undercurrent? Entitled to diff
The May Forth Movement
1. Historical context
1) The Republic Revolution of 1911 (lead by shun Zhongshan). Qing court
trying very hard to borrow money for foreign bank. Qing court give
foreign bank to built the railroad in china. Trigger the angry of loca
IAH 3/19 Lectures
Regret for the past (1925)
- During this time, many western works were translated.
- What does the narrator reveal at the beginning of the story? Regret, his
girlfriend will never come back again. His girlfriend is the one who help him
Natsume Soseki (This is the pen name)
- Born Natumr Kinnosuke in Edo
- Given to an antique dealer at the age of 2
- Returned to his biological parents
- His mother died when he was 14
- Enter Tokyo Imperial University.
- I am a Cat
1. He go on to talked about the difference between the east and the west.
2. Both Japan and the nations of the West are peoples who live between the
same heaven and earth, feel the warmth of the same sun, look up at the same
Change Brings Renewal to life (The stones Cry Out)
Beyond the Surface
- Share the secret happiness with his elder son, for teaching is also learning.
- Manase is a very odd man; to share to secret happiness with his son is very
important for him.
03/31/2015 IAH Note
Rethinking Like a Banjo String
- 10/1/1949: Founding of Peoples Republic Of China
- 6/1957-8: Anti-rightist Campaign
- 1958: Great Leap Forward
- 1962-1965: Socialist Education Campaign
- 1965-1976: The Cultural Revo
Explore human heart 4/21/2015
- Cope with frustration: No only among the intellectual, but also
- Help the youth regain its life breath: The film has different
approach, up lifting power toward the end.
Coming of Age
Kitchen (1987) Part 1
- Diverse approach: 1.The unexpected loss 2.Focus on
healing instead of agony. Sensei was angry about the
- Discuss serious issues, give author a chance to di
Tokugawa Japan (1600-1868)
Bendo, a discourse on the way. A serpents lust
1. Social reality of Tokugawa Japan
- The military overtone: ( leader not very good at social change)
- The discontent of samurai 1) do not understand market economic, merchant
- In the face of death: The Shells do not discriminate or privilege anymore.
- Struggling through the life-changing experience has rendered it possible for both to
come out of their outcomes of their cocoons.
- Celebration of dignified life
Historical Context (The late 1930-1945)
- The nationalist government:
- Communist power:
- A puppet government at Nanjing (1940-1945)
- Shanghai was called the isolated island
- Political censorship
Politics on Modernity
- The May Forth intellec
Breakthrough in Modern China (National Crisis in the 19 th Century, Impact of Foreign
1. Historical Context
- International scene 1) the Industrial Revolution in the West. (Colonial
accent) 2) the narrow-minded mentality of the Qing court. Qing d