HNF 311 Exam 1 2008 Form 1A 1. Hyperglycemia is _ whereas hypoglycemia is _ . A. high levels of blood glucose; low levels of blood glucose b. low levels of blood glucose; high levels of blood glucose
5. About 50% of the American dietary intake of ca
1. To reduce stress for first time clicker users we start with a question you should easily answer, I hope!
A. This class is HNF 150 B. This class is HNF 311 XX C. I have no idea, I only came in to get warm
2. The science of food and nutrient act
1. Lipids in chylomicrons are taken up by cells with the help of
A. B. C. D. Micelles Lipoprotein lipase XXX Pancreatic lipase Phospholipids
2. The major fat source in our diet
A. Cholesterol B. Phospholipids C. Triglycerides XXX D. Lecithin
1. Severe protein and energy undernutrition is known as
A. edema B. marasmus XX C. kwashiorkor D. anemia
2. This amino acid is often limiting in diets based on legumes
A. Tyrosine B. Methionine XXX C. Alanine D. Leucine E. Lysine
3. If an
1. This vitamin functions as a coenzyme
A. B. C. D. D A B6 XXX C
2. This retinoid is important to reduce night blindness
A. beta- carotene B. retinol C. 11-cis retinal XXX D. retinoic acid
3. Niacin can be synthesized from
A. B. C. D. T
1. This source of iron is most efficiently absorbed
A. Heme iron XXX B. nonheme iron C. iron from an iron cooking pan D. iron in enriched flour
2. Low dietary intake of this mineral will enlarge the thyroid glands
A. Zinc B. Copper C. Iodide
1. A sedentary adult requiring 2,000 kcal/day for weight maintenance will use ~ _ kcal/day for physical activity.
A. 1, 200 B. 600 XXX C. 100 D. Essentially zero
2. During a 2 hour marathon a runner will use ~_ as energy.
A. 90 % carbohydrate
1. This oil is a good source of C18:3, n-3
A. Fish oil-high in C20:5 and C22:6 n-3s B. Canola oil XXX C. Corn oil D. Butter
2. If an adult male consumes three times the required protein, but adequate total energy, the person will likely be in
A Distorted Body Image
Media promotion Social acceptance Influence and stress on young individuals Eating is a necessity Dieting to become thin may lead to a disorder Genetic connection to eating disorders?
Food, More Than Just Nutrients
Positive balance/negative balance Creeping weight gain One kcal is the amount of energy to raise the temperature of 1 kg water 1 degree C
in a bomb calorimeter
HNF 311- PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN NUTRITION Spring 2008 Mon, Wed, and Fri 9:10 am- 10:00 am Room: 1281 Anthony Hall
Instructor: Dale Romsos, PhD, Professor of Nutrition, and Nutritional Sciences Coordinator (http:/fshn.msu.edu/programs/nutritionalScience.
Except iron, many of the trace minerals identified as dietary essential only recently Difficult to measure Difficult to demonstrate deficiency Trace minerals interact with each other Trace mineral content of plant depends t