Identification and Synthesis of an Unknown
College of Natural Sciences, Michigan State University
October 19, 2016
The objective of this experiment was to identify an unknown ionic compound and
determine its properties using a ser
The purpose of this experiment is to determine which dyes are present in the given beverage. After
determining which are present also determine the concentration of each dye in the beverage.
First we calibrate the SpectroVis plus by filling a tube with di
The purpose of this experiment is to figure out the relationship between the wavelength of light
absorbed and the color. Also the relationship between concentration and absorbance.
The first step is to calibrate the SpectroVis Plus by putting clear distil
The purpose of this experiment is to confirm that the identity of the unknown is sodium chloride
by doing the same experiments on the unknown and known sodium chloride. If the reaction results are
the same then it indicates that the unknown is sodium chlo
The purpose of this experiment is to synthesis the unknown compound that we were given. Our
compound was sodium chloride and we needed to make 5g of it.
First we measure 14.26ml of 6M HCl in a 100ml graduated cylinder. Then we measure out
14.26ml of 6M Na
The purpose of this experiment is working as analytical chemistry interns with the MSU EHS.
Today an unidentified white compound was discovered and our team has been called in to assist with
the identification of the compound. Determining as many of its p
For the first variation of the experiment, I added .0625g of the potassium ferricyanide. The other variations
were 0.125g, 0.25g, and 0.5g.
First we gathered our equipment.
Next we filled our beakers with distilled water. We had to quarter all the amounts
First we inflated a balloon with nitrogen and filled a beaker with 300ml of ice and add water up
to 500ml of water and use a thermometer to measure the water at 0 degrees Celsius. At 0 degrees we
submerged the inflated balloon and waited 30 seconds then t
Project 3- ID and Synthesis of Unknown
College of Engineering, Michigan State University, MI 48823
Formal Lab Report for Project 3
My group, consisting of myself, Anna Carmody, Yuming Zhang, Jianyuan Peng,
were given the task to identify
Identification and Synthesis of Unknown
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48307
October 5 2015, October 12 2015 and October 19 2015
The purpose of the experiment is to identify an unknown compound and then synth
Experimental Strategy 1
For the first week, we decided that the most effective way to measure the density of the pieces of
plastic was to weigh the plastic and then measure the displacement it created when added to a
liquid in a beaker. Originally our gro