Review for Midterm
Midterm = 50pts Written = 25pts Practical = 25 pts 2/min stations Task focusing Microscope Probably identifying cells Doing part of assay, ABO assay No Calculator No Formulas (Know how to use them)
Water and Reagents Lecture Water
BLD 213 Midterm Objectives
1. OSHA is to provide a safe work environment for all employees. Also it authorizes on-site inspections to determine if the employer is following OSHAs guidelines. 2. Classification of Fires a. b. c. d. Class A - Ord
Hematography Tutor I
The feather edge of the blood smear slide is the best area to perform a microscopic differential. This area should be placed over the condenser on the microscope stage. The red blood cells should be randomly distributed and
1. The gullet forms food vacuoles where they are digested.
2. The function of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water that diffuses into a
Paramecium in a hypotonic environment.
1. A Paramecium is heterotrophic because it ca
bundles throughout the ground tissue in the center of the stem.
1. In the monocot, the vascular bundles are scattered.
In dicots, the bundles are radially arranged.
3. The root cap is a protective covering over the root tip.
The root cap produces a
It shapes the genes, it changes them and creates differences.
Are you tired of falling sick so often?
Well, did you know that the average person has eight defective genes in them, which can
cause them to fall sick, when they normally w
Cloning technology can be used to help scientists find out more about transforming stem
cells into specialized cells.
This can be used to artificially produce different organs that an immune system wont
If used in certain situations, human cloning
Imagine that scientists listened to those who said that it was unethical for
humans to walk on any celestial body other than our own.
Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin never set foot on the moon because of all the people
1. If there is insufficient water, the stomata can close until it rains again.
2. The vascular tissues of the leaf are continuous with the stem and root tissues.
This is functional because nutrients and organic compounds have to be
Also, if two parents both carry a recessive disease, and dont want to pass it on to their
children, they can simply create a clone.
The clone wont have the disease, even though he will be a carrier for it.
Cloning can also treat the number one killer in t
The protists are structured for survival by a wide variety of structures that provide
motility and nutrition.
For example, a Paramecium uses cilia, hairlike structures living the cell membrane, to
swim through water.
A Euglena moves using flag
Protists also are structured for nutrition.
Euglena have chloroplasts which allow it to manufacture energy from light.
However, if a euglena doesnt receive light, it can become heterotrophic instead of
However, some protozoa, like a Parameciu
During this lab, we saw cheek cells through a microscope.
This was an opportunity to look at a real animal cell.
From studying animal cells, this lab let us try and see if we could spot the organelles that
we have learned about.
This was also a chance to