1. In the all-channel network, communication flows _.
a. between an identifiable and strong leader and others in the work group
b. in a circle until all of the members of a work group has been informed
c. freely among all members of a formal work team
1. Communities of practice are groups of people who share a concern, a set of problems, or a
passion about a topic, and who deepen their knowledge and expertise by _.
a. taking professional development courses
b. going to periodic trade shows and professi
1. When a person tells his or her manager what the manager wants to hear, that individual is
using which of the following barriers to effective interpersonal communication?
b. selective perception
(a; moderate; p.
1. An intranet is an organizational communication network that uses Internet technology and is
a. available to anyone with the correct password
b. used to communicate with suppliers and customers alike
c. faster than using the Internet
d. accessible on
1. The average person normally speaks at a rate of about _ words per minute.
a. 50 to 125
b. 125 to 200
c. 200 to 350
d. 350 to 500
(b; moderate; p. 302; AACSB: Communication)
2. The average listener can comprehend _ words per minute.
a. up to 400
1. The specific reason that the importance of effective communication for managers cant be
overemphasized is that _.
a. all written communication stays within the organization
b. all verbal communications require face-to-face i
Written Once, Understood Anywhere (Scenario)
Margaret works as the human resource manager for Horizon Software, Inc., a software
development firm that focuses on the development and implementation of customized JAVAbased applic
1. There are _ elements of the communication process.
(c; moderate; p. 294; AACSB: Communication)
2. During the communication process, the message is converted to a symbolic form, called
George Wilberson is an engineer by training and manager of a work team that consists of two
engineers, four production workers, an accountant, and a purchasing manager. They are about to
embark on a new project
Communication and Information Technology
1. If a manager clearly and articulately verbalizes instructions to a subordinate, communication
can be said to have taken place.
(False; moderate; p. 293; AACSB: Co