ChE330 (W13) Assignment No. 10
1. The following reaction reaches equilibrium at 650C and 1 bar:
N2 (g) + C2H2 (g) = 2 HCN (g)
The system initially is an equal molar mixture of N2 and C2H2. Determine the composition of
the system at equilibrium. What would
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 9
1. What is the change in entropy when 0.8 m3 of nitrogen and 0.2 m3 of oxygen, each at 1 bar
and 25C, blend to form a homogeneous gas mixture at the same pressure and temperature?
Assume ideal gases.
2. (Optional) A vessel i
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 8
1. A refrigeration system requires 1 kW of power for a refrigeration rate of 3 kJ/s.
(a) What is the coefficient of performance?
(b) How much heat is rejected in the condenser?
(c) If the heat is rejected at 40C, what is the
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 7
1. Consider the basic cycle for a steam power plant. The turbine operates adiabatically with
inlet steam at 6500 kPa and 525C, and the exhaust steam enters the condenser at 100C with
a quality of 0.98. Saturated liquid water
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 5
1. Using the data in the steam tables, determine the numerical values for the following:
(a) Gl and Gv for saturated liquid and vapor at 900 kPa. Should these be the same?
(b) Hlv/T and Slv for saturation at 900 kPa. Should
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 6
1. Nitrogen expands through a nozzle from a negligible initial velocity to a final velocity of 325
m/s. Assuming nitrogen an ideal gas for which CP = (7/2)R, what is the temperature drop of
the gas? Pay attention to the unit
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment 3
1. The heat capacity of a substance is represented by the following equation:
CP = A + B T + C T2
Show that the error resulting when <CP>H is assumed to be equal to the CP evaluated at
C(T2 T1 )
arithmetic mean of the initial
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment No. 4
1. An ideal gas, CP = (7/2)R and CV = (5/2)R, undergoes a cycle consisting of the following
mechanically reversible steps:
(f) An adiabatic compression from P1, V1, T1 to P2, V2, T2
(g) An isobaric expansion from P2, V2, T2
Power generation from heat
24. In a steam power plant with the basic cycle for power generation, the turbine operates
adiabatically with inlet steam at 6800 kPa and 550C, and the exhaust steam enters the
condenser at 50C with a quality of 0.96. Saturated
ChE 330 (W13) Assignment 2
1. An ideal gas, CP = (5/2)R and CV = (3/2)R, is changed from P1 = 1 bar and V1t = 10 m3 to P2
= 10 bar and V2t = 1 m3 by the following mechanically reversible processes such that the
initial and the final temperatures are the s
21. Wet steam at 15 bar is throttled adiabatically in a steady flow process to 2 bar. The resulting
steam has a temperature of 130C. What are the temperature and quality of the wet steam?
Calculate S of the steam as a result of process.
Thermo Property Relations
Suggested readings of sections in book:
6.1 Property relations for homogeneous phases; Gibbs energy as a generating function
6.2 Residual properties
6.3&6.7 Residual properties by EOS and generalized correlations
13. A rigid vessel of 0.06 m3 volume contains an ideal gas, Cv = (5/2)R, at 500 K and 1 bar.
(a) If heat in the amount of 15,000 J is transferred to the gas, determine its entropy change.
(b) If the vessel is well insulated (i.e., no heat tran