Energetics of Locomotion and Osmoregulation
Swimming and diving represent major energetics expenditures in marine mammals
80% of daytime activity in a dolphin Cost of swimming affected by water flow patterns
Important properties of wa
Biology and Conservation of
News Item One!
• Marine mammals protected under
• A victory for marine life and tourism was
scored in Los Angeles last week in a
landmark ruling concerning the use of
sonar in navy
• What is Biogeography?
– Geographic distribution of organisms.
– Describe and understand patterns.
– Interprets aspects of both ecology and
• Why is it important?
– Need to understand a species’ ecologica
Chapter 8 - Part II
Cetaceans, Sirenians, and Others
Has altered the size, shape, and relationship of many skull bones External narial opening migrated to dorsal position
Braincase shortened Modifications
Chapter 9 ENERGETICS
Energetic costs and benefits of life processes
Acquiring needed resources (see Fig. 9.1) How these resources are allocated
Evolution of physiological adaptations to challenges imposed by existence in seawater Expressed in w