CHEM360 Problem Set 4: Due March 18.
1. Consider a reversible isothermal expansion of two moles of CO2 from 1 L to 40 L at 300 K. Assume that
CO2 obeys an equation of state P = nRT /(V nb) n2 a/V 2 with b = .04286 L mol1 and a = 3.658 L2 bar mol2 .
CHEM360 Problem Set 5: Due April 1.
1. Consider a system composed of two ideal gases A and B in equilibrium.
(a) If A B and the species have chemical potentials of the form
(T, P ) = 0 (T ) + RT ln
for = A, B where  is the concentration of species ,
CHEM360 Problem Set 3: Due March 4.
1. Consider any reversible thermodynamic process.
(a) Show that the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics together imply that dU = T dS P dV .
(b) Using H = U + P V and the result of (a), show that dH = T dS + V dP .
CHEM360 Problem Set 2: Due February 16.
1. Calculate the work involved when 2 mol of an ideal gas is expanded reversibly from a volume 2.5 102 m3 to a
volume 5 102 m3 at a constant temperature of 300 K. What is the work when the ideal gas is allowed to ex
CHEM360 Problem Set 1: Due January 29.
1. Consider the van der Waals equation of state for real gases
)(v b) = RT
where a and b are constants and v is the molar volume. Solve for P . Calculate the partial derivatives ( P )T and ( P )v . Here the
CHEM360 2012 Summer Final Exam
11 problems on four pages worth a total of 165 marks.
Show all work.
1. [32 Marks] Three moles of monatomic ideal gas at 300 K occupies a rigid heat conducting
container of volume 6102 m3 . The container is then submersed in
xC1tY\() k 3 (w
w;,u /U>W ~;cI.e-v
ra:tAt 1 (5~
/lu2-Y dy (t~