James McGreadys role in the 2nd Great Awakening and theunusual
bodily effects of the Cane Ridge Revival: His Presbyterian church began
in 1797 to pray regularly for the conversion of sinners in Logan County and
through out the world. The Cane
1. Three important developments that occurred in black separatism:
Establishment of new denomination, Expansion of previously existing Northern
denominations, The establishment of numerous independent congregation.
2. Amanda Berry Smith: Missionary,
Definition Study Guide #2
1. 4 Main Tenets of Puritanism: First humankind must depend entirely upon God for salvation.
Second emphasized the authority of the bible and should only what the scriptures explicitly
direct. Third God created society as a unifi
1. Change in the location of the authority for knowledge about the divine: From special
revelation found in scripture to the presence of reason in the human mind or intuition.
2. Queen of the Sciences: Theology which meant knowledge then; the scien
Definition Study Guide #8
1. Atman: Hindu concept of the eternal soul.
2. Maya: Hindu concept of false or illusory reality
3. Mantra: A sacred utterance, numinous sound, or a syllable, word,
phonemes, or group of words believed by some to have psychologic
1. Stoddards concept of converting ordinance: an open communion
2. Cotton Mather: Was a socially and politically influential New England Puritan minister,
prolific author and pamphleteer; he is often remembered for his scientific role in early
Definition Study Guide #1
1. Worldview: A commitment, a fundamental orientation of the heart, that can be expressed as
a story or in a set of presuppositions (assumptions which may be true, partially true or
initially false) that we hold (consciously or s
1. Moodys 3 Rs: He presented a basic Christian message, which he summarized as Ruin by Sin,
Redemption by Christ, and Regeneration by the holy Ghost.
2. Moodys contributions to American Christianity: Winner of souls.
3. Moodys preaching style, includ