Chapter 19 Seventh Edition
1. What does Section 703(a) (2) of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 provide?
2. What are the five protected classes under Title VII?
3. Who is covered by Title VII?
4. Describe the two forms of Title VII actio
Advantages of Operating a Business as an LLC
An LLC can have any number of member-owners, whereas an S corporation
can have only 100 shareholders.
An LLC has flow-through taxation the same as general and limited
partnerships and S corporations. Unlike an
1. CASE NAME, CITATION AND COURT
Hooters of America, Incorporated v. Phillips
173 F. 3d 933 (1999)
Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
2. SUMMARY OF KEY FACTS
A. Annette Phillips was a bartender at a Hooters restaurant franchise in
1. CASE NAME AND CITATION AND COURT
Harris v. Forklift Systems, Inc.
510 U.S. 17, 114 S.Ct. 367, 1993 U.S. Lexis 7155 (1993)
United State Supreme Court
2. SUMMARY OF KEY FACTS
a. Teresa Harris worked as a manager at Forklift Systems, Inc. (Fo
Hooters of America, Inc. v. Phillips, 173 F.3d 933 (C.A.4 (S.C.), 1999)
173 F.3d 933
79 Fair Empl.Prac.Cas. (BNA) 629,
75 Empl. Prac. Dec. P 45,822
HOOTERS OF AMERICA, INCORPORATED, a Georgia corporation,
Annette R. PHILLI
Case Briefs Wk. 6:
Wilson Sporting Goods vs. Hickox:
I agree with the courts decision on siding with Hickox. The plain and simple fact
is that Wilson made a product that was unsafe and not properly tested. Wilson Sporting
Goods should pay the consequences
Chapter 8 Seventh Edition
What does the US Constitution state regarding intellectual
2. Why provide intellectual property protections?
3. What is a trade secret? What must one do to protect them?
4. If one steals a trade secret from
1. Explain why something may be required to be done ethically but not
2. Devise your own definition of Ethics.
3. What is a Ponzi scheme?
4. Explain each of the five major theories of ethics.
5. What is a Qui Tam Lawsuit?
Chapter 17 Seventh Edition
1. Explain the authority of the SEC.
2. What is included in the definition of a security?
3. What act controls an initial public offering?
4. Explain the purpose of the different registrations for an IPO.
5. What is th
1. Explain genuineness of assent.
2. Explain the differences between a mutual mistake of fact and value,
unilateral mistake and the enforceability of each.
3. What is duress and undue influence and what is their respec
Chapter 18 Seventh Edition
1. Define agency.
2. Who are the parties in an agency relationship?
List the two employment relationships and describe them.
List the four ways an agency relationship may be formed.
5. Explain the doctrine of Res
Chapter 16 Seventh Edition
1. Are corporations created under state or federal law?
2. List the characteristics of a corporation.
3. What is RMBCA?
4. What happened in Menendez v. ONeill?
What is the difference between a public and closely hel
CHAPTER 15 Seventh Edition
1. List three characteristics of the LLC.
2. How is an LLC formed?
3. What is an operating Agreement?
4. Describe the liability of LLC members, and managers.
5. What happened in Siva. 1138 LLC?
6. What are the two type
Chapter 11 Seventh Edition
1. Briefly explain the Federal CAN-SPAM Act.
2. What does the Communications Decency Act of 1996 provide?
3. What does the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
4. Explain where one might go to register a doma
1. List two of the advantages and disadvantages of conducting business as a sole
2. Explain the need for a fictitious business name statement if doing business as a
3. What happened in Bank
U.S. Supreme Court
INTERNATIONAL SHOE CO. v. WASHINGTON, 326 U.S. 310 (1945)
326 U.S. 310
INTERNATIONAL SHOE CO.
STATE OF WASHINGTON, OFFICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION
AND PLACEMENT et al.
Decided Dec. 3, 1945.
Appeal from the Supreme Court
Hamer v. Sidway
124 N.Y. 538, 27 N.E. 256 (Court of Appeals of New York, 1891)
[At a family celebration and in the presence of family and invited guests, William E.
Story, Sr., the uncle of William E. Story, 2d, promised his nephew that if he would
1. What happened in 1776, 1778, 1787, and1788?
2. What three major functions does the US Constitution serve?
3. Explain the concepts Federalism and Enumerated powers.
4. Explain the doctrines of separation of powers and checks and b
1. Explain the concepts litigation, alternative dispute resolution
and e-dispute resolution.
2. Explain in detail each of the steps in the litigation process.
3. What is meant by the term e-filings?
4. Define the concept of statute
Chapter 7 Seventh Edition
1. Explain the basic differences between civil law and criminal
2. What is the definition of a crime?
3. What are the sources of criminal laws?
4. Explain the roles of the parties to a criminal action.
5. Explain t
Case Briefs Wk. 12
Coca-Cola v. The Koke Co. of America
I agree with courts decision ruling in favor of the injunction that was granted against The
Koke Co. There isnt a second thought when saying the word Coke. A person
automatically thinks of Coca-Cola.
Case Briefs Wk. 9
Dees v. United Rentals
The court made the right decision ruling in favor of United Rentals North America. Mr.
Dees was majorly underperforming while working in 2009 and he kept receiving written
warnings. I feel that Mr. Dees knew that h
Case Briefs Wk. 8
Auer v. Palliate:
The court made the right decision as to siding with Auer. Palliate represented Home Town
Realty in a terrible manner and now the name is questioned every time someone wants to
use them for business. It is very shocking
By: Joshua Kuruvilla
FRANCHISOR/FRANCHISEE LIABILITY EXERCISE
This exercise is for the purpose of learning when a franchisee may be considered
an independent contractor or an agent of the franchisor. This will be useful in
understanding the princi
Case Briefs, Week 4:
People v. Whitmer:
- The court made the right decision as to finding Whitmer guilty on 20 counts of grand
theft. He clearly violated dealership policies, obtained false signatures from fictitious
buyers on the sales documents, and arr
1. Most state court systems have three levels: what are they?
2. Explain the purpose of state limited-jurisdiction trial courts.
3. Explain the purpose of state general-jurisdiction trial courts.
4. Explain the role of state interme
1. What is a tort?
2. Explain a wrongful death action, and tort damages.
3. What is product liability?
4. Explain the nuances of the tort of assault.
5. What is battery? Explain why assault and battery often occur together.
In todays online world, I feel it is not possible to protect privacy rights. People
are being monitored every single day and every single time they use the Internet. The
Federal Government and Government Age