Mena is an actin regulatory protein. It is undetectable in normal tissue, but progressively
expressed in premalignant cancer tissues. The study of Splicing program of human Mena
produces a previously undescribed isoform associated with invasive, mesenchym
Lecture 4: Model of Cancer Research
- In the 3D culture, tumor microenvironment does present. The next best thing is to
go into animals.
- Sometimes things would not work in vitro (cells) but works in vivo.
- We use mice. Termology
Paper critics: B-arrestin 1 promotes HIF-1 signaling
- B-arrestin is an oncogene
- B-arrestin can also regulate non-GPCR signaling. (TGFb).
- B-arrestin 2 is excluded from the nucleus because it has a nuclear-exported
- HIF1a is a master transcri
TGFb Pathway inhibitors
- the antisense oligonucleotide target TGFb mRNA of the ligand.
- there is kinase inhibitors. SB-505124.
- for exam, if there is no other SB, call this one SB compound.
- Sb431542 is a small mole
Transforming Growth Factor beta(TGFb) superfamily
- 25 kDA protein as dimer
- it is a cytokine
- this growth factor does two opposite things. Proliferation and apoptosis.
- they took modeled (not transformed) cells, then
Tyrosine Kinases Inhibitors
- Gefitinib - better HER1 inhibitor, response rate 10% in patients
- Laptinib dual inhibitor for HER1/erbB.
- lots of the inhibitors looks like ATP. The ATP molecule has
Receptor Tyrosine Kinases (RTKs) and cancer
Surgery make sure get rid of the entire tumor.
- 1st line Tx
- clean margins and cacapsulation
- UV rays, Gamma rays and charged particle
- Secondary effect: Irritation to the skin, salivary glands, ha
Lecture 7 Targeting GPCR for Cancer Therapy
GPCRs in Cancer: Endothelin receptors
- many GPCRs are overexpressed in cancer. Endothelin receptors are also
overexpressed in many cancers. Ovarian, colon, breast, endometrial
- in breast cancer, there is an in
Lecture 6 Targeting GPCR for Cancer Therapy
- Stroma is the cells in the connective tissue that provides framework for organ or
- Cell polarity is important.
- Some cells present in the environment are endothelial cells, pe
Lecture 5 Targeting Cancer
Question: what is going on in vivo?
- Does KISS1R/Kisspeptin inhibit metastasis?
- Study: spontaneous metastasis of cancer in vivo. Tail-vein injection. (lung
colonization). They use different kinds of melanoma cells, they saw t
1) Zymography-FYI only, not tested
Zymography is a technique that uses protein substrates (like casein or gelatin)
embedded in a polyacrylamide gel, the enzymes (MMPs or others) are loaded in
to the gel and separated by size (but left in their natural sta
The study The novel phosphoinositide 3-kinase-mammalian target of rapamycin
inhibitor, BEZ235, circumvents erlotinib resistance of epidermal growth factor receptor mutant
lung cancer cells triggered by hepatocyte growth factor addressed the problem of acq