Personality The distinctive and relatively enduring ways to thinking, feeling, and acting that
characterize a persons response to life situations.
- Personality becomes stable when we enter adulthood
- Thoughts, feelings and actions
Definitions and Concepts Psych 1000
Sensation and Perception
How do we perceive the world around us?
Synaesthesia: Mixing up the sense (e.g. may have taste as smell etc.) can
give us valuable information about how we s
Chapter 12 Development over the Lifespan
Developmental Psychology: Issues and
changes in our biological,
physical, psychological, and behavioral
processes as we age.
Nature and nurture
Critical and sensitive periods
Critical period i
- The mere presence of cofactors or a passive,
Yet, other experiments found that
Treatment of Psychological Disorder
The Helping Relationship
- Basic goal of all treatment is to help people change maladaptive, self-defeating thoughts,
feelings, and behaviour patterns so they can live happier and more productive lives.
The Scope and Nature of Psychological Disorders
- Psychological disorders have a major impact on individual and societal well-being.
o 26% of the population suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder.
o Half of N. Americ
Behavior in a Social Context
Social Thinking and Perception
- Attribution judgments about the causes of
our own and other peoples behavior and
- Fritz Heider
Pioneer of attribution theory
attempts to understand people
behave as they do typ
There are 4 types of social interaction that helps to define who we are both individually and
Affiliation and Interpersonal Attraction
- Belongingness and love are
Intelligence the ability to acquire knowledge, to think and reason effectively and to deal
adaptively with the environment.
- Cultural conceptions of intelligence differ markedly.
Intelligence in Historical Perspective
- Galton mental constitut
Motivation a process that influences the direction, persistence, and vigour of goal-directed
Instinct Theory and Evolutionary Psychology
- Instinct an inherited predisposition to behave in a specific and predictable way wh
Stress, Coping, and Health
The Nature of Stress
- Viewed stress in 3 different ways:
o A stimulus
Eliciting stimuli/events that place strong demands on us stressors
I have so much stress in my life, 3 exams, lost my card, cars broken.
o A res
Psych Exam Review
*Exam is going to be very theory based*
Chapter 9 Language
Properties of Language
Structure of Thought
Chapter 10 Intelligence
Unitary versus multiplex